Chapter Nine - Wounds

After her encounter with the Predator, Elisa was taken to the hospital for recovery. Luckily, she didn't suffer any lethal or permanent injury. When she regained conscious, she was surrounded by her family who wanted to check up on her. After a lengthy visit, her family left the hospital, but not before giving her wishes for a speedy recovery. As Elisa was left in her hospital room, Adeline Valentine entered the room.

Elisa: Adeline. How are you holding up?

Adeline: I'll live. I should be asking you that question. I....I heard about what happened to Captain Johns.  

As Adeline said that, Elisa was saddened as she recalled how Johns died protecting her from the Predator.  Soon enough, Elisa noticed Danny's absence.

Elisa: Where's Danny? 

Adeline: Dead. That...that thing killed him. Christ, Marza. That thing wasn't human. I've...I've never seen anything like it. 

As Adeline said that, Elisa noticed something different about Adeline. Normally, Adeline was calm and reserved with some in the force calling her cold. She had seen many terrible things during her time as a Police Detective, but it was clear that her encounter with the Predator traumatized her. 

Elisa: I'm...I'm sorry, Adeline. 

Adeline: Danny didn't deserve to die like that. He might've been a loud mouthed idiot, but he was a good cop. And Captain Johns....Christ. How did this all go wrong? 

Elisa: I...I don't know. But we are going to find out who did this and bring him down. 

Adeline: You saw what I saw, Marza. Whatever that was, it isn't human. It's...it's something else. No human could kill like that without any kind of reaction. That thing killed Danny like he was nothing. It would've killed me too if you and Captain Johns hadn't stepped in. Now he's dead and we're all that's left.

As Adeline said that, Elisa recalled Mike Harrigan's experience with a Predator and how it killed most of his team. It was in that moment that Elisa and Adeline now fully realized what they were dealing with. 

Elisa: What...what now?

Adeline: I...I don't know. Christ. This is spiraling out of control, Marza. I've seen plenty of bad things in my career, but this...this is something else. I'm starting to think we may be in over our heads on this one. 

Elisa: I won't ask you to continue, Adeline. I'll finish this case. 

Adeline: Are you sure that's a good idea, Marza? 

Elisa: I have to, Adeline. I made a promise to Captain Johns that I would finish this case. I...I don't know how, but I'll finish it. 

It was clear to Adeline that Elisa intended to finish the case no matter what despite knowing what she was up against. 

Adeline: Listen, I have to go. I...I still have to notify Danny's family. They...they need to know what happened. Stay safe. 

With that, Adeline left the room. As Elisa was left alone, the Gargoyles managed to sneak into the hospital. Upon seeing Elisa in the condition she was in, Goliath was overcome with guilt. 

Goliath: It's my fault. I should've arrived sooner. 

Elisa: Goliath, this wasn't your fault. You came as fast as you could. 

Goliath: But the blame lies with me all the same. I failed and now that monster is still out there. 

Hudson: There was nothing you could've done, lad. This hunter is every bit as crafty and ruthless as the one I fought. 

Broadway: How are we supposed to take him down?

As Broadway posed that question, Goliath was quick to answer. 

Goliath: I will seek the Hunter out and face him myself. 

Upon hearing this, Elisa along with the rest of the Manhattan Clan were stunned by Goliath's words. 

Elisa: Goliath, no!

Goliath: I must face him and end his hunt before he kills another. 

Hudson: Listen, lad. I faced his kind before. I barely survived my fight with the Hunter. In his dying breath, he unleashed a fiery storm that scarred the very Earth we stood. 

Lexington: Hudson's right! The tech this Hunter has is out of this world!

Brooklyn: You can't do this alone!

Goliath: Your concern is appreciated, but this is something I must do. 

As Goliath made his intentions to face the Predator alone known to the others, Elisa tried to talk him out of it. 

Elisa: You don't have to do this, Goliath. I don't want you putting yourself in harm's way because of me. 

Goliath: It is my duty to end this Hunter's reign of terror. I will not have you be put in danger nor will I endanger my kin. If anyone must face this Hunter, it shall be me. 

Elisa didn't want Goliath to go off and seek out the Predator, knowing what the Predator was of. Despite this, she knew that there was no point in trying to talk Goliath out of this. 

Elisa: Please....be careful. 

Goliath: You have my word, Elisa. The monster's reign will end tonight. 

With that, Goliath set out to find the Predator. Though Elisa and the rest of the Manhattan Clan didn't want Goliath to face the Predator alone, they all knew that trying to talk Goliath out of fighting the Predator was a losing fight. As Goliath sets out to find the Predator, the Predator continued his hunt. A collision course was soon set. Now it was only a matter of time until Goliath clashed with the Predator. Goliath would not stop until he finds the Predator and end his hunt once and for all.