Chapter 12

Vincent Kinsington

I stood near the other groomsmen as my brother and Jasmine stood in front of everyone in the wedding hall reciting their vows. Aiden had told me early on that he had wanted me to be his best man, but knew that would cause contention with our father that he didn't want to cause. Not because Aiden didn't want to deal with it, but because he was afraid our father would use it as an excuse to be mean to me. I didn't mind. The best man had duties that would be a little difficult for me living in a different state and busy running my own business. Being a groomsman, I just basically had to show up.

Chet caught my eye from where he sat near the middle on the groom's side. I couldn't help but smile thinking how handsome he looked in his suit. He sat with Alex and Mateo. Trevon and Arthur sat at the front on the bride's side.

I turned my attention back to my brother and Jasmine. They exchanged rings, said their 'I dos' and kissed. My parents looked like they couldn't be happier. Neither of them had even looked in my direction all day. That was alright. It was better than saying something disparaging to me that might ruin my brother's day.

I looked at Chet again as my brother and new sister-in-law walked hand in hand down the aisle. People all around them congratulated them and clapped for them. I followed them out along with the other groomsmen and bridesmaids. Afterwards, I didn't get the opportunity to find Chet or my friends as I was ushered out to take pictures. Several pictures were taken. There were some with the groom and groomsmen, some with the wedding party, ones with just me and Aiden, some with my family and Jasmine's, one with just our family. I was surprised my dad didn't protest that and I wondered if Aiden had spoken with him about it beforehand. Anyone looking at the pictures would think we were just another normal family and not one where we hadn't spoken to each other in years. From Aiden's smile, he couldn't have been happier. He even pulled Chet in for a few of the family pictures surprising all of us. Our dad frowned at him, but didn't say anything. Instead, his lips pinched tight and he had a forced smile as the photographer took the picture.

After the pictures, we rode with Trevon and Arthur to the reception hall. Aiden and Jasmine made their entrance as husband and wife. As the night went on, toasts were made by the man of honor - one of Aiden's best friends since high school, and the matrons of honor - both of Trevon's sisters Brittany and Kylie. There was food, champagne - Chet refrained since he had a game the next day and I refrained because he did - and dancing.

Chet and I danced on the dance floor with Alex, Mateo, Arthur and Trevon. It was good to be with our friends again even though we saw them the night before. Gareth's absence was noticed though. Our group just wasn't the same without him even though we did have fun. My dad had been sitting at the bar most of the night. My mother made the rounds talking with people. Every once in a while I would catch her watching me before she would quickly look away. I couldn't tell from her expression what she was thinking, but it didn't seem like a harsh expression.

As it grew later and guests were starting to leave, I left my group of friends to get me and Chet some water at the bar. I went to the opposite end from where my dad sat. I froze when he looked at me. Before I could move away or even look away, he waved me over to him with a blank expression on his face.

I hesitated a moment, then went to him and sat on the bar stool next to him. He waved to the bartender who then placed a glass of champagne in front of me. I touched the glass, but didn't drink it. Old familiar, panic waves threatened my insides. My fingers slightly trembled as neither of us said anything. I pressed them into the glass to hide that fact.

Finally he said, "I tried, you know. I really did."

I looked at him. He stared at the nothingness in front of him. He was drunk. A pained small smile touched his lips. "My mom wanted to kick you and Jennifer out when you were born. I convinced her not to. I convinced her I could be your dad and no one would have to know. I thought I could be. I thought I could treat you the same as Aiden." He took a drink of the champagne in front of him. He stared into the glass for a long time before he scoffed. "She was so against you when you were born and then she became your biggest advocate. She turned against me to side with you. Do you know when I told my parents in high school that I might be bisexual that she wouldn't speak to me for a month afterwards and my dad beat me for the first and only time in my life. It was only when I told her I was wrong and I was 100% straight and would never think of another man like that, that she started to speak to me again. Then when you and Aiden came along, she went completely against that and openly supported you no matter what. But after how my parents reacted in high school, some part of me thought she would react the same to you or Aiden at some point if you turned out to be the same as me so I tried to make sure you and Aiden would never be that way. I still have a hard time believing how much she turned against me to support you."