Chapter 21

Chet Watakeekul

There was an annoying buzzing from somewhere. I was vaguely aware of it, but my eyes were too tired to open. My brain drifted back into the blackness of sleep as the annoying buzz thankfully stopped.

Some time later I was aware of Vincent's arm around my waist and his chest up against my back, but then the all encompassing sleep took me again.

The ringing broke through my sleep. I still didn't open my eyes but this time it was because I didn't want to and not because I couldn't. The ringing didn't stop though and I realized Vincent's warmth was no longer next to me. Then I realized it must have been light outside because light was coming through my closed eyelids making that weird red tint.

I finally opened my eyes as the ringing stopped. I sat up and looked around the room. The door to our bedroom was closed, but I didn't see Vincent or Goldie. I fell back onto the bed and stared up at our ceiling. The room was bright as sunlight flitted in through the windows. I reached for my phone to look at the time. 8:17. I rarely slept in this late. I had slept through the alarm.

My phone started ringing as I looked at the time. It startled me and I forgot to breathe for a moment. Kanni's name came up on the screen.

I answered it and put the phone to my ear. "Hello," I said groggily.

"Are you just waking up?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Why didn't you call me last night and tell me you were getting married? I heard it first from mom and dad last night, but I should have heard it from you."

"Sorry," I said. "I'm getting married." I tried to muster up the same excitement I had last night, but I was still too tired.

"It made the news," she said.

"Did it?" I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Yeah," she said and I could now hear the warmth in her voice. "Mostly in the sports section of the news and some of them cut out the cute kiss, but I'm so glad I got to see it. I have some of the clips saved so I can go back and watch them. It was really adorable. I wish I could have seen it in person."

"Me too," I said. "Can you send me the clips?"

"Sure," she said.

I got out of bed, realized I was naked, quickly pulled on my boxers and went to my laptop.

"Did you get them?" she asked.

"Hold on," I said as I started up the laptop. I yawned into the phone.

"Have you called Gareth or Mateo yet?" she asked.

"No," I said. "I wouldn't have called them before I called you." I wasn't sure that was true, but I wanted it to be.

"Be sure to call them," she said. "Especially Gareth. He pretends to be cool about everything and most of the time he is, but if you didn't call him about this, he would pretend to be cool with it when he really isn't."

I paused because that was something she might say if she still had a crush on Gareth. "Did your crush come back?" I flat out asked her.

She sighed. "No," she said. "But he's my friend now too. In fact," she paused, "would it be weird to say he's my best friend too because I think he's become my best friend."

"That is weird," I said, "but it's alright. He's easy to be friends with."

"True," she said.

My email came up and I saw the links she sent me. Before I could click on them, the bedroom door opened.