Chapter 20

Vincent Kinsington

I sat between my parents and Chet's. Chet was on the field focused on the soccer game. He was incredibly sexy when he was that focused, when he was that athletic running across the field, how he would sometimes yell out commands to his teammates without even realizing it, how his eyes could discern what the plays were going to be and where the ball was going.

My hand slipped into my pocket where I had the ring. I didn't think anyone knew I had it. I had decided to follow my dad's advice and keep the ring on me at times like this just in case. Nothing stuck out to me during the game that now was the time so I stayed where I was and enjoyed the game and the company of my many parents.

The game was close to ending and the opposing team was ahead. Chet had the ball as they ran down the field. My breath caught in my throat as he got closer to the field. Everyone around me was cheering him on. He kicked the ball towards the goal. My breath let out when the goalie managed to deflect it. I didn't realize I was standing, along with everyone around me until that moment. Chet hadn't made the goal, but I was obviously still proud of him. He had made plenty of goals before and missed plenty of goals. That was the way it went. That didn't change the fact that he was a great striker. There was a reason this team had signed him on as a designated player and did everything they could to keep him.

The game ended with our team losing. I watched Chet as he congratulated the other team.

Now.

I swallowed hard and ignored the sudden rapid beat of my heart and the voice - my voice - in my head.

Now, my brain said again and I was moving before I realized it, before I could think about it too much and stop myself. I ignored my parents' inquiries as I walked past them, past Rusnak's family and pushed my way through the crowds that were starting to leave the stadium. I made my way to the hallways that would take me to the field. The security guard posted there recognized me and let me through with no issue, same with the workers closer to the field.

Chet was with a reporter giving an interview and that persistent 'now' was still there pushing me ahead. I took the little box with the ring in it out of my pocket and opened it so Chet would be able to see. I walked until I was right beside Chet, realized the camera was now on both of us and froze. I couldn't force myself to get on one knee and hold the ring up to Chet. That would have been ideal, but my brain and body both froze in that moment.

He looked down at the ring. A wide smile came to his lips as his eyes met mine. That broke my frozen state, but my throat was tight and I knew I wasn't going to be able to make the proposal loud enough for the microphone to pick up. Instead, I leaned in close and whispered in his ear, "Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" he cried out in jubilation and threw his arms around my neck. I knew his answer must have gotten some attention because it had been quite loud. I buried my head in his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his waist to hold him to me tightly.

Chet pulled away from and turned to the reporter and the camera. He loudly exclaimed, "I'm getting married!"

My lips stretched even wider than they had been. I loved this man by my side so much I didn't know how it could all be contained inside me.

"Congratulations," the reporter said and it sounded like she meant it. The smile on her face and on the cameraman's only confirmed this.

Chet turned to me, gave me a quick, chaste kiss on the lips before he took my hand and pulled me to the side of the field. The ring was still in my hand almost forgotten even though it was the symbol of our happiness right now.