Chapter 24

Vincent Kinsington

"How long are you going to be?" Nate asked Nat. The three of us stood near Nat's desk. The rest of the office was empty as everyone else had gone home already.

"Probably around seven," Nat said. She sat in her chair and pulled the internet up on her computer screen.

"Should I make you dinner?" Nate asked.

Nat smiled warmly. "I would love that," she said.

Now it was Nate's turn to smile. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Whatever you make will be delicious," she said.

Nate bent down, kissed Nat on the cheek and then clapped me on the shoulder before he left the office.

"Pull up a chair," Nat said. "I've already been looking at a few places. I hope you don't mind."

I grabbed the chair from Zoey's desk and moved it so I could sit next to Nat. She and Chet weren't fooling anyone. It was clear that she was giving Chet time to set up for tonight. But I would go along with it because Chet had told me I needed to act surprised and because we did need to find a wedding venue.

Nat had already made a list of places to look at so she pulled up the websites. A lot of the places we looked at had pictures of the outside in the spring or summer, but with our wedding being in the winter, I didn't think it was a good idea to have an outdoor wedding. Some of the places were a little too rustic for my taste or up in the mountains. Up in the mountains would have been okay except I didn't know what the weather was going to be like on January third and if there was a big snow storm, trying to get everyone up a mountain probably wasn't a good idea.

We finally found a few indoor venues that weren't too churchlike (neither Chet nor I were very religious) or too rustic. We searched for places that had a spot both for a wedding ceremony and the reception. Then Nat began to make calls to see if there was any availability for January third. We also asked if it was alright to have Goldie as part of the ceremony because she had to be. Of course, my favorite places were all booked up for the next several months, but they put our names on a list in case they had a cancellation. We finally were able to book a place that was still nice and I was happy with it even if it wasn't my first, second or third choice.

When I got home, I paused before opening the door. I could hear Goldie pacing excitedly in front of the door obviously knowing I was there.

"Okay, Goldie," Chet whispered, but he was close enough to the door that I could still hear him. "Thanks for the warning. I need to turn out the lights."

Goldie barked in response and scratched at the door. I slowly opened the door just as the lights went out. Candles were lit in the living room leading a trail to the little table by the kitchen. Goldie jumped up on me more excited than usual. She knew something exciting was happening even if she didn't know what exactly it was.

"What's this, Goldie?" I asked as I rubbed my hands along her sides. Her tail wagged even more vigorously.

"I thought it would be nice to have a nice romantic dinner," Chet said, playing it as if I didn't know what was really going on. He wore a nice black suit and looked incredibly handsome.

He had told me to act surprised so I played along with him. "It smells wonderful," I said, "and the atmosphere is very romantic." Since he had moved to stand right next to me, I leaned in and kissed him. It was a lingering kiss, but a chaste one.

He was smiling when I pulled away. "Come on," he said and took my hand in his. "Get down, Goldie."

She immediately put all four paws on the ground again. She followed us as we went to the table. He led me to the chair I usually sat in and waited until I was seated.