Chapter 34

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.

Vincent Kingsington

I was probably more nervous than Chet was. I sat in the stands with Nate. It wasn't our home stadium. The western conference finals were being played at the opposing team's stadium as they had the better record for the season. We were surrounded by the other players' families so we weren't alone in cheering for our team. Nat was back home taking care of Goldie. If our team won this game, she would go to the final game while Nate would stay home to care for Goldie.

I knew Chet wanted to win this game. He had never won the western conference finals. Because he was a designated player this year, he really wanted to prove himself. But he had already proved himself many times over. He was down on the field with his teammates warming up. He was focused on the game at hand and I knew he wouldn't let his desire to win distract him. If anything, it would only give him the determination to play better, smarter, harder.

The game started. The crowds cheered loudly for the home team, but we also cheered loudly for our team. There was a lot of back and forth, a lot of bodies unintentionally bumping into each other with their intense gameplay. The time went on without either team scoring a goal.

My heart jumped in my throat when Chet had the ball, rushing down the field with a defender on him. Kamara was right behind for support if needed. There was a slight opening and Chet took the opportunity. He kicked the ball towards the goal. It looked good. I was sure it was going to go in. Our side cheered loudly and then quieted as their goalie managed to deflect it with his fingertips as he dove towards it. Now the fans for the opposing team cheered loudly.

Chet didn't let it bother him. His head never left the game as he called out a few directions to his teammates I couldn't hear from where I was.

It was towards the end of the first half. Neither team had scored a goal. The opposing team had the ball and were rushing towards the goal. Our defense was good at keeping up with them, but their striker kicked the ball, it slipped past Smith and Rusnak and they scored the first goal of the night. The crowd around us erupted in cheers as the opposing team's players gathered to hug and pat their striker.

Chet and Rusnak were quick to get their fellow teammates back in their positions and focused on the game. The first half ended with us losing 0-1.

During the break for halftime, Nate and I spoke with the relatives of the players around us. We were familiar with all of them. Talk was mostly centered on the game at hand and what we thought the team needed to do to turn the play to our favor.

The second half started. The defense on both teams was tight and neither team scored for a while. I was getting more and more nervous that our team would come away without even scoring.

Our team had the ball again. Chet was dribbling towards the goal. Bradley and Kamara were spread out, but kept pace with him. Chet passed the ball to Bradley. Bradley passed the ball to Kamara. Kamara kicked it towards the goal and my breath caught in the back of my throat. We were on our feet. A defender managed to deflect it away, but as if Chet had anticipated this, he was already back in position. He got the ball and kicked it immediately back to the goal. The goalie anticipated it going the opposite direction and the ball hit the net. We erupted in cheers. He had done it. Chet tied the game 1-1.

The game continued back and forth. At times, both teams got close to scoring, but the goalies managed to block the balls.

With only one minute left, our team had the ball. Bradley dribbled the ball down the field with Kamara and Chet keeping up with him. They all were looking for opportunities to score. Bradley passed the ball to Kamara. Kamara passed it back to Bradley. Bradley passed it to Chet. Chet quickened his pace to meet the ball. It was lined up perfectly. He took the shot. I held my breath. The entire stadium seemed to still in that moment. The goalie dove for the ball. It slipped just past him and hit the corner of the net. We were now ahead 2-1. Bradley was right there as Chet jumped in the air with his excitement. Bradley picked him up in celebration. Kamara was there a moment later hugging both of them. Then the rest of the teammates followed, hugging them, patting them and rubbing Chet's hair in celebration.