Chapter 16

PRESENT:

As they sit outside the sky is getting dark. Unnoticed by both they have been sitting there for hours. They are talking or being absolute silent. Waiting for so long is stressing Bucky out. He abruptly jumps up from his spot and starts pacing.

"Ya know Steve, without her I never would have found all my memories. Just fractions of moments and never know if it would be real or something HYDRA out inside my head." He rubs his eyes. "What if she never wakes up, Steve? She grew on me, so fast I didn't know at first what was happening. I can't do this without her, Steve. Society fucking sucks in this time. Don't know what to do or where to begin on my own." Bucky wipes his face with his hands to wipe away a few tears.

"Don't talk like that, buddy. She's a fighter, before you know she'll wake up."

Just as the words leave Steve's lips, Sam comes running towards them. Steve stands up and Bucky turns around to face him.

Sam stops and leans down with his hands on his knees. He's panting from running so fast. "Guys.... You need... To..." he stands up straight an breathes through his nose to slow down his breathing.

"Is there something wrong, Sam?" Steve asks worried.

"It's what I'm trying to tell you. You need to come back in. Romanoff is waking up!"

"Couldn't you say that earlier!" Bucky shouts as he sprints past Sam. Through the long hallway he sprints and slides effortless into the room where they are keeping Natasha. He just wants to see her awake.

A soft but familiar voice breaks the silence.

"Hiya handsome."

Natasha is sitting on the edge of the bed, her hands are gripping the thin hospital bed tight so she won't tip over and fall off the bed. Her face is filled with small scars and her legs are bruised.

Behind him Sam and Steve enter the room. Both also glad to see Natasha awake.

Bucky runs up to the bed and wraps his arms around her with ease. It reminds him how much smaller she is.

She softly taps his metal biceps. "Ouch!" She grunts.

Bucky lets her go. Did he hurt her? Is she in pain? "I- I'm so sorry, did I hurt you??" He whispers unsure why he whispered.

"No, it's okay" she replies with a raspy voice. She pulls him closer and gives him a kiss. Their lips crash into each other as if it's their first kiss. But he needs to be careful before he hurts her again.

They hear a loud whistling sound behind them. Bucky raises his middle finger to the whistler, who is obviously Sam.

"Shut the fuck up, Sam."

Steve chuckles at Bucky's remark at Sam and drags him along. "Let's leave them alone."

-

Bucky lies next to Natasha on the tiny hospital bed. He fell asleep and they are holding hands. But Natasha is still wide awake and is studying his face. He still has some scratches from the accident. Most of them are already closed and will disappear in a few days. She softly scratches the hairs that have formed a beard on his face. He must of not shaved it for a while. How long was she out?

She kisses his hand and carefully gets up from of the bed trying not to wake him up. He seemed tired and haven't had enough rest. She places her feet onto the ground and tries to stand up. Her feet are still a little week from lying in bed for so long. She shuffles to the sink and grabs a glass of water.

She feels hands slide over her back and wrap around her. Bucky kisses her neck and strokes through her hair. "How are you feeling? Better?"

"You're awake. And yes, I do feel better."