Two Left Feet

The first day dragged on longer than expected, I mostly sat in the study reading. I hadn't seen Alois until lunch, and now it was time to get ready for the ball. All day servants have been preparing the ballroom. Or so I assume.

Hannah was in my room helping me into a green evening dress. It was an ugly color, but Hannah told me that Alois had picked it out for me. So it would be rude if I refused to wear it. My h/c hair was combed and I was ready to go. Just as I had turned away from the mirror to look at Hannah, the door burst wide open and Alois came running in.

"Are you ready yet? The party is about to start." He said in a sharp tone.

"Don't you know how to knock?" I questioned him as he looked at me up and down. He was wearing a purple jacket and a green vest. The same color green as my dress.

"I-," he started, stuttering, "I don't need to. It's my house after all."

He started staring at me again, making me a little uneasy. I guess not uneasy, just nervous. I didn't like it when he looked at me like that. Who knows what was going on inside his head.

"Well," I said, "aren't you going to comment on how bad I look now?"

He kept staring like he was trying to figure out what to say.

Ignoring my question he said, "We're matching. Isn't that fun?"

But before I could reply he took my hand and dragged me out of the room, down the long hallway, and into the ballroom. The room was completely unrecognizable. There were tables near the walls and a small area for an orchestra. The whole aura had changed from dead to lively in the half an hour I was getting ready.

"The guests should be arriving soon."

I turned around and Claude was standing behind us. I became painfully aware of Alois' hand in mine and I took mine away. I could feel heat rush to my face and ears. God, I hope I'm not visibly red.

The orchestra started playing with the point of Claude's finger.

"You know how to dance, don't know?" asked Alois. Claude walked away to help at the door.

"Of course I do." I snap back at him.

"That's fine then," He looked at the ground. "I've never danced with a lady before."

"What about your dance teacher?"

"Hannah? She doesn't count. So don't you dare mock me, alright?"

"Why would I do that?"

"That's what I would do, that's why."

I started laughing loudly. It was the first time I had laughed in a long time, so it sounded pretty crazy.

"That wasn't a joke, why are you laughing?" He yelled at me.

"Because," I paused to catch my breath, "I know that you're lying."

I started going into another laughing fit again. The guests were already flooding in, so I knew it was unsightly to see me like this. But then I looked at Alois and stopped. He was looking down to the side. His hands were clenched into fists and his face had a small tint of red. Dammit, I think I hurt the brat's feelings. If that was even possible. I put my hand on his shoulder and he picked up his head to look me in the eyes.

"Alois," I started, "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry."

His face was flushed with more color than before. He then knocked off my hand for his shoulder and walked away.

"Stupid." I heard him mutter.

I deserved that. There was no real reason I believed he was lying anyway, I just had a feeling.