Curiosity Killed the Cat

I had decided on a plan to get to the door. Later at night, when everyone's asleep, I will sneak down to go to the library and see what I could find. I obviously couldn't do this during the daytime, because even though I'm not monitored all the time, anyone can walk into where I am any second.

That afternoon, Alois and I spent our time playing board games in the parlor. I never liked losing, but I wanted to make sure to keep his temper in check, so I let him win most of the time. Whenever he won he would laugh with his mouth wide open like a child.

Watching him was something to behold. I have never met a noble boy that was so improper before, he even swore in front of me. It's very refreshing to have that type of personality around, one that liked to joke. All the boys I've met only liked to talk about their fathers' companies or the latest technology.

Something that I do not enjoy is how Alois treats the help that's not Claude. He told me he hated them all, except for Claude. I wasn't too fond of Hannah or those triplets either, but I would never say that to him.

It was nighttime already and I was waiting until it was late to sneak out of my bedroom. I looked at the clock on my nightstand; 2 am. This was the time Alois came in last night, so I'm sure he's still up. I was a bit restless so I paced the length of the room to help me think.

The manor was huge, and the library was downstairs. It was nowhere near the room I was in now. I'll have to figure out how to get down there without getting caught. I knew that if I was caught, I would say I was restless and wanted to read a bit. I knew that that was a stretch, but it was all I had. Besides I have no more time to think, someone was opening my door.

I stopped in my tracks and looked up, it was Alois again. I jumped a little when he walked over.

"What are you so scared for," he said in a whispered shout, "we agreed to talk, remember?"

I most certainly did not remember until now. I was so caught up in my own curiosity that I forgot about our written conversation.

Alois went and sat down crisscrossed on my bed. I went and sat across from him.

"Well," I said, "out with it then."

"Remember last night when we both said we hated liars?" He asked me.

He seemed nervous about this question, almost like he didn't want to ask. I nodded in response.

"Well," he started again, "there is something I need to share with you, but only because I don't want to lie to you."

Lord, help this boy spit it out.

"You see, Claude and the others... aren't humans at all," he said very slowly like he was trying to come up with the words as he spoke them.

"How do you mean?" I questioned.

"You see this?" he stuck out his tongue.

I stuck out my tongue back mockingly.

"No," he said, "The markings... Oh wait, I guess Claude isn't close enough, but trust me it's there."

I looked at him, puzzled. What in the world was he talking about? A marking on his tongue? Like a tattoo? I've never heard of a tattoo on the tongue before. Then again, I've never seen a noble with a tattoo.

"It's a contract seal from Claude," he blurted out, "he's a demon. They all are."

"Are you playing a trick on me?" I almost yelled, "demons? That's not very funny."

"I'm not trying to be funny, now listen to me! I made a contract with Claude so that's why he is here. As for the others, I don't really care for them at all but they are demons too."