Safe and Sound

It was completely dark in the basement of the Trancy manor. Claude was right there, so I felt safe. But I couldn't forget what Alois had said to me earlier that night. Claude was a demon. I couldn't shake that fact.

"I'm sorry to have frightened you, lady y/n," Claude said.

At that moment, I felt something pick me up and hold me from my waist and the bend of my knees. I clung on to the front of Claude's shirt and tried to bury my head into his chest as he started moving.

In almost an instant we were back in the library in which I had started. He set me down on my feet before I knew what was happening. It took a while to catch my balance.

I started crying then as I looked into Claude's glaring eyes.

"Please Claude, I really didn't mean to be nosy." I sobbed loudly.

I grabbed on to him like I was begging for forgiveness. Because I was begging.

"Please don't send me away."

"Calm yourself, miss, you don't want to wake up master Alois," he said with his usual monotone voice.

I looked up at him with teary, red eyes. I tried to catch my breath. They came out unsteadily.

"What was that, downstairs. Why does Alois have cages?" I asked Claude, more quietly this time.

"The young master's father had quite the grotesque hobby of collecting young boys. That is, after all, where he had come from," he replied with no emotion again.

"Like," I started, "Alois was sold to him?"

"Precisely."

I gasped and put my hands up to my mouth. That can't be true, who would want to hurt Alois like that. Out of all people, I never imagined the one that had saved me would have been a victim of such a heinous crime. I know all too well what happens to traffic victims.

I started crying again. This time it was much softer. I fell onto my knees and held my face in my hands and sobbed quietly.

"He told me he didn't want me to know of his past," I whispered to myself, although I knew Claude could hear me.

I knew there was a reason Alois didn't want me to know, but now I understand why.

After a few minutes, I was picked up again, like a small child, and was carried slowly back to my bedroom. Damnit, I regret letting my curiosity get the best of me. Now I have to keep this secret until Alois opens up to me about it. Maybe I should just tell him.

Claude's body was warm against mine. I felt at ease again as I almost slipped into slumber. But then I felt dread again, this reminded me of how my father used to carry me to bed after I fell asleep in our library from reading too late. I looked up at Claude, he had the same look he always had on his face, glaring eyes, and a slight frown. As scary as he looked, he was still heaven sent in my eyes, although he was hell sent, literally.

Claude set me down on my bed and pulled the covers over me.

"Claude, Alois told me what you are," I said as he bent down to tuck me in, "I don't mind."

He stood up and pushed his glasses up with his middle finger.

"Very well," he replied.

Before he closed the door all the way to make his leave, he peered in and said, "Let's not make it a habit for you to go exploring like that again."

Then the door clicked shut.

As tired as I was my mind started racing again. I had to tell Alois what I knew, otherwise I would be lying to him. That was the last thing I wanted to do after he told me the truth about the servants. What was this contract that Alois was talking about? There was so much I didn't understand about what happens within these walls.