Sweetheart

Elizabeth was the name of Ciel Phantomhive's finance. Quite annoying, as Alois described her, but I would have to learn for myself soon. He said that it would be nice for me to have a girlfriend to talk to. I don't really see the point in it, I don't really need anyone else. Besides, I was never very good at making friends in the first place.

"It's already been arranged. Both Ciel and Elizabeth will be visiting tomorrow for lunch," Alois told me as we finished up our own meal.

It has only been a week since the last time Ciel was in this house, so it was strange for him to come back so soon.

"But what if we don't get along?" I asked.

"Then," he said, "you won't have to see her again. It's too late to refuse."

I frowned at him before I returned to eating.

"Do you even have any other friends?" I asked him.

"Yes, Ciel of course."

"Ciel? I had the impression you two hated each other."

"We do. But you always keep your enemies closer, right?"

"What about me? Does that make me your enemy?"

"Depends."

"On?"

"If you keep fighting me on this."

With that, I stood up.

"Fine," I said in a huff, "I'll meet with her. But only because you want me to."

Alois gave me a smile before also standing. He didn't understand the situation he has now put me in. Seeing Ciel again was the last thing I wanted to do after our last encounter. There is no way he could uncover the truth without actual evidence. Who was going to believe him? If he were to take me now, it would be kidnapping, pure and simple.

That was true enough to help put my mind at ease for now. He has nothing on me. Only God knows if he had somehow figured out how to lure me out of this mansion.

"Let's do something new today," Alois said as we met at the doorway, "how about you show me some of those books you enjoy so much?"

"Really? I never expected you to take an interest in reading," I replied, shocked.

"You're always babbling on about them. Maybe this will shut you up for a bit."

He laughed a little before looking over at me.

"Would it kill you to lighten up a bit?" he asked.

"Oh sorry," I said, "I guess I'm a bit preoccupied. You go on ahead, I need to freshen up."

He rounded the corner toward the east wing before I moved. I turned on my heels and made my way back to the dining hall. The reassurance I needed had to be around there somewhere, we had only just finished eating.

And there Claude was, standing in the dining hall, talking to Hannah. They both turned their heads towards me as I closed the door. It was dead silent other than the sound of the door being shut. Claude walked over to me and I motioned for us to move into the hallway.

"What are you concerned about?" he asked almost immediately after we moved outside the room.

"What will happen if they try to take me away?" I asked.

"As long as the young master wants you here, I won't let that happen."

"You will protect me?"

"For now."