Let's Stay Like This Forever

I battled with myself on the best way to tell Alois of what I have discovered. We haven't talked much all day so it's not like I have had any real opportunities.

I was now walking along the courtyard, in the flower garden, waiting for him to finish up his lessons for the day. Claude hadn't said anything to me all day about what had happened last night. It was for the best, I wasn't up for any more confrontation than I was about to endure; Alois was making his way over to me.

"Hannah, get out of here now!" he yelled towards behind me.

Hannah had been trimming the bushes.

Alois was already in a bad mood, I could tell by the way he was looking at me. I'm sure Claude told him about last night. But nonetheless, it was only right for me to tell him the truth myself.

"What are you staring at me for?" he spat at me.

Oh lord, I was staring. I guess I got a little distracted by my thoughts.

"Alois, I have something to tell you-"

"I already know about your snooping last night, Claude told me," he interrupted me.

I knew Claude would have told him, that was why he looked angry at me.

"I won't make you stay here, so just go already. I don't care," he yelled at me, getting almost too close to my face with his.

"I know you know what happened here, so don't even try to pretend you aren't disgusted by me."

He seemed to be looking at me with disgust rather than the other way around.

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I brought him into a hug. I felt so bad about what had happened to him, I just wanted to comfort him. He gasped as I brought him closer to me.

"I don't care about what that dirty old man did to you, Alois," I told him, holding him tight.

He started trembling as I said those words. He slowly started to put his arms around me, accepting my token of affection for him.

"That bloody bloke took too many things from me," he said quietly in my ear, I could hear the anger in each word.

We stayed quiet for a bit until he said "He got what he deserved."

My eyes widened after he said that. I knew the old man was dead, but I assumed it was just with age. Claude probably was a part of it too, I assumed.

I started petting his hair as we held on to each other. He held me like he was clinging for his life, gripping onto the back of my dress with his fist.

"What is this?" he asked me softly.

"This is what people do when they care for each other," I replied.

"Claude never does this for me."

All I could say to that was, "I'm sorry."

Walking alongside the rose bushes, Alois told me about how he lost his brother and the details of his contract with Claude. Apparently, Claude is to fulfill his wish in bringing pain to who had caused the death of his brother, in exchange for Alois' soul. I prayed to God that that day would come in the distant future.

I couldn't believe how I felt about this young master before me. I have started to develop a true caring for him, it was something I couldn't explain. All I knew is that I wanted to help him achieve true happiness. Alois was deeply damaged and I wanted to help mend the wounds of his past. After all, he had helped me in that same way.

Rounding the corner, we found the bluebells. I crouched down and stared intently at one small flower. I wanted to see each detail.

"There were bluebells in an old garden my brother and I played in frequently." I looked to my right to see Alois bending over my shoulder.