1

He was too young and naive at that time. How simple was saying "I love you" for that ten year old that he never knew the impending regrets awaiting him. He couldn't classify love between different feelings and different people.

Ten year old Beomgyu was playing with little kittens in his usual hideout - the abandoned amusement park. The furballs meowed in happiness as Beomgyu tickled their tummies. Last night, he had carefully rubbed off most of the salt from the canned tuna; the only food he managed to sneak out from his house for them.

The sun was playing hide and seek with the clouds today, radiating mild warmth to the Earth. But it was hot enough for the white oversized shirt to stick to Beomgyu's skin and he made a mental note to take a full bath as soon as he returned home.

Yeonjun was having a hard time trying to find Beomgyu. That boy was a bit on the weird, mysterious and nerdy side of student. When everyone of their age competed with who had a better or costlier toy, Beomgyu would be smiling so bright and thanking his stars if a day turned out sunny; or if the paper boat he carefully constructed over an hour without listening to their lessons sailed perfectly in the street puddles. Oh! Where in the creator's name would you suspect that boy to be?

Turning around the corner of the maple garden, Yeonjun clearly heard Beomgyu's loud devilish laugh from metres away, echoing in the barren and abandoned amusement park which had lost touch from the warmth of humanity a year ago.

"Oh, hi!" The said boy piped up when he saw Yeonjun.

"Just a hi? You don't even want to apologize for standing me up for our hangout today?" Yeonjun panted in between words, his brows furrowed, unstable irises displaying hurt and his hair dishevelled. His best friend just broke his trust but there he sat with one of the most beautiful smiles in this world, playing with his new friends.

"You're not choosing those kittens over me, are you?" Yeonjun whined to Beomgyu, his voice laced with childish jealousy.

"You four are equal to me." Beomgyu said with a reassuring smile.

"I am the same to you as them?"Yeonjun let out a sigh of disbelief, pouting thereafter, turning his back to Beomgyu.

Beomgyu chuckled at his friend's childishness (ironic as he was a child himself too) and went to backhug him before apologizing.

"You stink. Go away!" But to no avail, Yeonjun was not ready to forgive him and melt at his words.

After a long day of evading the blue sky, the birds were returning to their nests chirping out a mellow song which matched the colour of the onset of dusk.

Dusk?! Beomgyu had lost his sense of time playing with the kittens. It had been dusk already. A slight breeze blew away the anthers of the dandelions surrounding the park and Beomgyu gasped at the beautiful sight.

Yeonjun shook his head in distaste. How can this precious little best friend of his survive in this cruel and cold world?

"Hyung, you know I love you right?" Beomgyu suddenly spoke up catching Yeonjun off guard.

His eyes folded into shining creases, beautiful wrinkles appearing on his cheekbone and his perfectly shaped teeth adorning his face into a beautiful smile.

Yeonjun was mesmerized by the beauty in front of him. His heart was bungee jumping in and out of his ribcage and he felt his stomach churning. The last rays of sun created a perfect angelic aura behind Beomgyu. Mouth opened like a fool, Yeonjun contemplated whether everyone felt like this for their bestfriends.

"Hyung!" An obvious pout made it's way to Beomgyu's lips on Yeonjun's lack of response.

"Uh-huh." Yeonjun mumbled bursting out of his bubble of fantasy and rubbing his neck.

"So, we're still best friends, right?" Beomgyu held up his pinky finger; a wordless invitation of pinky promise.

"Yeah... best friends." Yeonjun went for a hug which Beomgyu gladly accepted.

___🅧___🅧___🅧___🅧___

Idk what to say or how people do author's notes and shits. Btw, did you notice how Yeonjun didn't do the pinky promise? 👀