2

Beomgyu was currently dragging Yeonjun all across the garden to the maple tree. The rush of young blood and daring adrenaline pushed the thirteen year old to do anything and everything that was forbidden. The satisfaction the young adolescent experienced after breaking rules was something he wanted Yeonjun, his best friend, to experience too.

"Are you sure than we'll not get in trouble?" Yeonjun asked Beomgyu in an unsure tone.

"I can't believe the troublemaker of our class is asking this." Beomgyu snorted before giving a snark remark.

"I can't believe YOU pay attention to what goes on in school." But Yeonjun wasn't a boy to back down easily, so he snapped back.

"Only about you." Beomgyu giggled hiding his smile behind his tiny fingers. Yeonjun's heartbeat went haywire
When would Beomgyu start taking responsibilities for his words and what those do to his heart?

"Because you're my best friend." Beomgyu added, like adding salt on Yeonjun's wounds. But that's the truth right? Is it just him or does no one's heart and brain seem to agree on one thing? - Yeonjun thought.

"Oh! Here we are." Beomgyu left the hand he was holding only for Yeonjun to feel how their hands fit together so well. It's been seconds and he already missed the warmth. Beomgyu rested his fists on his hip and looked up at the tree thinking about God knows what.

"I'll climb first then pull you up, ok?" Beomgyu asked but Yeonjun didn't feel the need to answer because he didn't wait for any and had already started climbing. Beomgyu was an experienced climber, that Yeonjun could decipher from his confident steps but still he was quaking in his boots thinking about any possible accidents that could hurt Beomgyu.

"Hyung, step here first and then give me your hand!" Beomgyu shouted the instructions to Yeonjun and he did as he was told. Soon after, Yeonjun was pulled up into a strong stable branch. The view from there was magnificent. They could clearly see the whole of amusement park which looked so barren yet so beautiful under the thin sheets of snow.

It was a chilly afternoon and Beomgyu shivered even though he was wearing a jacket. Yeonjun yanked Beomgyu closer to him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. Beomgyu smiled while looking at Yeonjun with adoration in his eyes but Yeonjun did not dare meet his gaze, afraid that his heart would start doing weird flips again.

"Hyung." Beomgyu called.

"Hmm." Yeonjun hummed while looking at his swinging legs.

"Yeonjun hyung, look at me." Beomgyu whined while Yeonjun complied and looked at him. Beomgyu's baby voice was one of his weaknesses among a long list.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Yeonjun hyung! Happy birthday to you!" Beomgyu started out by singing softly, clapping his hands to the beat but then it turned to an opera towards the end, which made Yeonjun burst into a fit of giggles.

"Hyung, you know, I don't get much to save since the pocketmoney given to me by our orphan keeper is very little. So I could just buy this." Beomgyu brought out his hand which held a small teacake, the size of his palm. His face had a slight frown of disappointment but an expecting gaze towards Yeonjun.

Yeonjun was too flabbergasted to process anything.

"Oh! And," Beomgyu continued, "the shopkeeper wasn't giving candles and matchsticks to a kid like me. But I'm thirteen! I'm not a kid anymore!" He huffed and added, "So I got you this dandelion instead of a candle." Beomgyu rubbed his earlobe, a mixed feeling of shame and guilt creeping inside him.

Yeonjun was looking straight into Beomgyu's eyes all this time which made him feel like he had messed up. Wordlessly, Yeonjun pulled Beomgyu into a tight hug, hiding his chin in the crook of his neck. After a moment, Beomgyu heard sniffles beside him.