{Chapter 13} A new love

The ground continued to tremble and sand was falling into the hole that Aidan and I were still standing in. "Kayce we have to go now!" Aidan shouted, the shaking caused Andrews box to tip over and spill out all the contents. 

"Common Kayce, forget about the letters we need to go" He continues to yell and picks me up from my legs. "Grab onto the top root and pull yourself up," he says as he lifts me off of the ground. I manage to pull myself up to the surface to see the whole park shaking, what was happening? I hear Aidan yell from the hole 

"My leg is stuck Kayce!" He yells in pain, I look down and a large root fell on top of his leg and pinned him to the side of the hole. "Can you pull it off?" I ask "No, I can't get to it" I grab my pocket knife and squirm my way down to where he is. 

"No Kayce don't come back down here! It's too dangerous!" He shouts, "I am not leaving you!" I shout back. I was able to cut the root in half which allowed Aidan to squeeze his foot out. I lifted him out and he pulled me back out of the hole. As we reached the surface, the ground stopped shaking. 

"Is your leg okay?" I ask. He stands on it and whimpers in pain "I might have sprained it" 

I take off my shirt and wrap it around his foot for some support, I look up at him to see him staring right back at me. 

"Please Aidan, it's not like you haven't seen me without a shirt before" and we both laugh. While we sat there in shock, my phone rang. When I answer a strange voice speaks on the other end. 

"Well well well... it looks like you two really are meant to be. This was all a test, you found my letters, and the ground would have only stopped shaking if you two protected each other. Think of it as a life lesson" 

"Andrew?" I ask on the other side of the line 

"It is I indeed" 

"Andrew, how do we get out of here, please help us!" I shout to the dead voice on the line

"The two of you have passed the test, you guys are free to leave. But you have to make sure my father does not catch you. Leave just before sunrise and you will be safe from his horrors" 

"But our friends," I say back

"They have yet to pass my tests" 

"Why are you doing this, why can't you just let us go?" 

"If I gave you what you wish for, my father would have you all dead" and then the line went blank. I told Aidan everything Andrew said 

"So we're free?" 

"Yeah. I don't understand though. Andrew has to test us in order for his father not to kill us?" 

"I'm not sure, but we should leave. We have to tell the others and get out of here. When we're in safe we can have access to the internet and do more research. Maybe we could help the others escape before they have to experience whatever Andrew has in store for them." As much as I didn't want to leave my friends, Aidan was right. We have a better chance of understanding what is going on without all the distractions. 

"Okay, but we can't tell them, they will try to leave with us" as I start to walk back in the direction of the cottage, I feel Aidan's grasp on my wrist as I begin to turn around, he quickly pulls me in for a kiss. The most passionate long waited for, kiss. 

"Well I had to finish what we started" he grins as we pull away. I still couldn't help but think about Andrew and why he began by saving us, and now threatening my friends' survival.