{Chapter 8} Hello?

We scarfed down our food and left for the, once again, search for our missing friends. 

We went to the security hut; where they were seen before they were declared missing. 

Of course, nothing. The only thing that was left was Violet's sweater she was wearing that day, with a little note on it. 

"Well that wasn't there before" Aidan said, in shock. 

So someone placed that there when Aidan and Jacob went to tell us. Someone had this as their plan. 

"Who's gonna read the note?" Aidan asked, everyone was terrified to even look at the damn piece of paper. 

"I guess I'll read it" I offered 

"The woods decay, the woods decay and fall [...] Man comes and tills the field and lies beneath"  I read out loud. 

"I'm assuming they're in the woods?" Daniel suggested 

"Yeah, but which ones?" Jacob asked

"I guess the closest ones?" Aidan said 

"sure let's go and find out" 

We head into the dark and chilling forest.

"So what exactly are we supposed to be looking for?" Aidan asked 

"Beats me" I respond 

"Well it mentions something about falling...maybe keep your eyes out for a fallen tree or something" Jacob suggested 

"Good idea" we all agree.

After 20 minutes of walking in complete silence and fear we come across a section in the woods where trees are tilting, and falling if they haven't already. It's been a pretty windy week, I didn't realize it was windy enough to knock down steady trees. We made our way through the trees and saw Brayden and Violet laying under a thick tree branch. 

"Another note" Isabella pointed out

The note was pinned to the branch it read 'be careful with your next move...do you really want to risk it?' 

"Do you think the branch would fall on them?" Isabella asked in fear 

"we just need to be careful, we can't just leave them there" I say.

Jacob and Aidan slowly lifted the branch and moved it away from Brayden and Violet, Isabella and I slowly dragged the two out from underneath. Whilst we were dragging them out Jacobs hand slipped and the branch came tumbling down, but then...it just stopped. Mid air.  

"What the fuck" Jacob gasped in shock.

We all just stopped and looked in fear. What just happened?

"Let's get them out of here" Jacob mentioned, we lifted them up and walked them back to the cottage.

Once they woke up we just put them to bed to rest, they need it. 

"Do you guys think... I don't know...something supernatural is happening here?" Aidan said, taking a seat on the couch. 

"Yeah no shit, I thought we established this on the first day" laughed Jacob. 

"Sorry man, I don't believe in this stuff" replied Aidan 

"I think we should leave, first thing tomorrow" I said 

"We already tried that" Isabella responded.

"Well lets try again, and again, no matter how many times it takes. We need to get out of here, I put you guys into to much trouble."

"It's okay we'll figure it out Kayce" Isabella said.

My phone rang. It hasn't rung yet this whole trip, there's no signal, or as that's what I thought. 

"Hello?" I answered in fear

"Ready for your next game?" The voice asks 

"I guess you piece of shit" was I really thinking that insulting this thing would make it stop? 

"Remember your friend Cory?" 

"Cory?" I asked confused 

"That boy you fell head over heels for in the summer of '17" 

"I literally talked to him once" 

"Don't lie to me...go to where you first met him. You'll find a sweet surprise there. And go alone" it says back to me before it hangs up.

"I got to go" I say to my friends 

"wait!" Daniel shouts, i'm going with you.

"No. You can't. I'll be fine, if i'm not back in an hour come to the pool deck" I respond as I hop on the golf cart and drive. I first met Cory in the hot tub, I haven't even thought about him since that summer. I was nervous on what I was going to find, I had an idea but I didn't want to admit it. As soon as I got there I rushed over to the hot tub, there floating in the water was a note. 

'you thought he was going to be your summer love, until you saw him run off with that other girl, I know he hurt you so now i'll hurt him.' 

Now this thing is taking my side? Jeez when I wanted it to help me I didn't mean like this. I looked around in panic, hoping, just maybe I'll see Cory walking towards me, like nothing ever happened. I heard a rattling noise coming from the pool hut, I rush towards it and there was Cory, in a bathing suit with his mouth taped shut, and on that tape was written...

'you have another member to your team, now leave' in blood. I help Cory out of the chair and bing him to the golf cart, giving him my sweater to warm up. 

"What happened?" I asked on the drive back.

"I don't know, I was on a night out last night with my friends and I guess I got a little too drunk and somehow ended up here" he responded. 

"Shit. There's a lot you probably want to know, and to be honest I don't even have all the answers. You probably don't even remember me."

"Of course I do, you're Kayce" 

"Yeah" I smile back at him 

"One question Kayce..."

"Yeah?" 

"Am I safe now?" 

I wish I had an answer for him... but I never did.