i. protoú

ONE

protoú

('before' in Greek! )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CALISTA SAVAS

Trees.

The verdurous touch of nature stood on uneven grounds. She found herself lost in the sight. It was all distinct to her.

Greek islands weren't well known for having very many trees. Barely any trees at all, especially if you lived right in the middle of it.

Lived. Past tense. She lived on a Greek island. She could only wish that she were still to live on that island. She didn't like it here. It was a drastic change from the tropical islands she was used to.

She was always aroused by the aroma of her mother making Spanakopita. Oh, how she missed the smell of the spinach nestled in with the feta cheese. Her mouth watered as she retrieved the savory taste of it. Because she would do anything to eat a homemade meal cooked by her miteriá now. Unfortunately in the world she now lived in, that was no longer a possibility.

Her own mother was ripped to shreds by a monster. The monstrosities that now lurked around the Earth, almost outnumbering the population. The creatures who could end your life in a second. One bite and you're gone. Not just dead, but you become the creature, and you lurk. Just like they do. You lurk until you find your next meal. And the next, and so on until you're put out of your misery. Fortunately, some people don't ever have to reanimate. They have someone, to put them down. Unfortunately for Calista, she didn't have anyone. Not just yet, or maybe not ever. She was just surviving. Alone.

Her reminiscence was intruded on by the noise of what appeared to be a man. She trusted her impulses and shuffled her feet to where the call was arising from. She gripped the handle of her double-edged ax.

✦✮✦

He was surrounded by these gruesome creatures. Calista began to swing her ax, battling off a monster. Her ax split the monster's head into two, putting it out of its agony. Her eyes lingered upon the man, who was perched upon the rock. He was wearing an all-black suit, with a white-collar. He continued shrieking, which was not improving the situation.

The sound of leaves rustling was nearing the area. It could've been anything, really, so Calista readied herself to launch at whatever it was.

A group. A threat perhaps?

The group was followed by a boy, who seemed to be around Calista's age. His appearance subsisted of brown, lengthy hair which remained under a sheriff's hat. However, her impression of him was brief, considering the distance between the two.