vii. selfish

SEVEN

selfish

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CALISTA SAVAS

The stars were something that Calista valued, even before. Ascella Savas had always loved them, and her love for them was carried to Calista, as she watched her sister diverge from her, for the very last time.

Of course, this wasn't a felicitous memory that Calista was particularly fond of, but she'd like to think that every night when the stars scattered the midnight sky, it was a beacon of hope for every soul that had been lost.

Her sister, however, was different. Her soul wasn't lost. It was found in a sense. It was the universe's way of protecting her. Protecting her from the monsters, the broken humanity, or even Calista herself.

Calista didn't neglect her sister but buried deep within her consciousness, Calista knew. She knew that no matter how hard she would've tried, she would never be able to shield her sister. Something or someone would get in the way, and it would leave Calista with no other alternative but to blame herself.

It was better this way anyway, right?

✦✮✦

"We should get back inside," Carl informed her, "Before anyone notices that we're gone." Calista nodded, realizing the fright the two of them could've conceivably caused. Carl held his hand out for the girl to take, but she breezily avoided his gesture.

The teenagers snuck in through the door that they came out of, cautiously advancing to an empty pew. Carl took off his hat, and placed it next to him, planting it between him and Calista.

Calista whispered to him, "I seriously thought that hat was glued onto your head." Carl glanced at her, merrily. "Take all of it in while you still can, this is a rare occasion." He kidded back, circling his hand around his head. "Oh yeah, I bet it is." Calista teased back.

"I'd like to propose a toast," A voice spoke, prompting Carl and Calista to turn their heads. The majority of the room went silent, their attention now centered on the man.

"I look around this room, and I see survivors," he went on, "Each and every one of you has earned that title. To the survivors!" He cheered, everyone, doing the same back to him. Calista leaned over to Carl and murmured, "Does this happen often?"

"Nope." He shortly replied.

Calista started to leisurely drowse off, only catching a few of the words the redheaded man was saying.

Surrender. Reset. Safe. Save the world. Survive.

Those words were enough for Calista to put the pieces together. The travel methods the same man had mentioned when they got there, the speech he gave about 'saving the world', it all made sense now. He thought that this whole ordeal was reversible.

Calista had overheard those precise words before, and they only ever got people killed.

But who was she to directly assume the worst? Maybe the world would be on their side, for once.

✦✮✦

The sound of laughter filling the air woke up Calista, almost immediately. However, the newfound excitement caught her off guard, provoking the girl to nearly shriek. Carl prevailed next to her throughout her slumber, experiencing her movement firsthand.

Carl forthwith sat up, glowering at the girl. "What happened?" He asked her, disquieted. Along with him, Calista sat up. "I don't know, did something happen?" She asked him.

Carl shook his head, "You can go back to sleep if you want to, I promise I won't wake you." Before Calista could reply, she saw a man wander over to the door. "No, it's okay," she confided, "But who's that?" Her inquiry was followed by the point of her finger.

Carl looked to where her finger was pointing and leaned slightly towards her. "That's Bob, remember the prison I told you about?" Calista nodded, recalling the information Carl had provided her with earlier. "Yeah well, he was at the prison. I haven't talked to him much, my dad always kept me really busy at the prison-"

Calista smirked, "Busy doing what?" She asked, intrigued. Carl looked at her, with a peculiar expression. "You want to know what I was doing at the prison? I swear, it's not that interesting-" Calista cut him off midsentence, "If you walk in the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew." Carl looked at her bewilderedly, "-What?"

Calista dramatically gasped, "You've never seen Pocahontas?" Carl shook his head. "I'm so disappointed in you, Carl. You have a lot to learn." She harangued, sarcastically. Calista patted his shoulder, and the two teenagers began to audibly laugh.

"Where's Bob?" A woman asked, not conducting her question to anyone in particular. Carl whirled his body around, facing the woman. "Cici and I saw him wander over to the door, but we never saw him leave." He acquainted her.

Cici. The infamous nickname that Carl only had recently given her. An indescribable feeling took over Calista. A feeling that Calista was not familiar with. The name had slipped out of Carl's mouth so smoothly, and so blissfully, despite the current situation.

Calista considered this sensation as selfish on her part. Selfish meaning the way she let this feeling overtake her, as a distraction from the current circumstance. Pushing her feelings aside, she did see Bob roam over to the door. Maybe she should've said something to him, or asked him if he was okay.

Until they got some answers, this was on Calista.

"Come to think of it, has anyone seen Daryl or Carol?" Rick asked the remainder of the group. The majority of the group shook their heads.

Great, three members of the group were now missing.

✦✮✦

a/n:

hi everyone

this chapter was actually supposed to be much longer, but i split it up into 2 chapters

so that explains the length

but anyways carl really tried to help calista up and she just completely dodged it lol and carl never said anything about it, but internally he was hurt </3 poor bb

ANYWAYS I HOPE THAT U ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER and the next chapter is gonna include gareth!! terminus was disturbing tbh

also calista is a disney stan, expect a lot of disney references

LOVE U ALL SM

WORD COUNT: 1035