ix. cruelty

NINE

cruelty

"Káne káti" is Greek for do something!

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CALISTA SAVAS

Don't cry. Crying is only for the vulnerable.

She was not vulnerable. Not even close. Frankly, quite the opposite.

Calista had only wept once since the start, and to her, it was not for a valid reason either.

Her mother and Ascella were weak. They were not made for these conditions. They were exceeding exhaustion and were nearing pessimism. The three of them endured with nothing.

Nothing at all.

No food, no water, no weapons. Nothing.

Monsters were approaching them, and they were helpless. With no weapons, they had nothing to do but wait. Wait for the creatures to tear them apart like they were just another potential feast for them. Their vulnerability was consuming them alive, literally.

"Káne káti, Calista!" Ascella screeched to her older sister, with a sliver of hope hidden beneath her terminal fears.

Hearing her saintly sister beg for her aid lit a flame inside of her. Before Calista had time to comprehend the situation, she was defeating the creatures, with her bare hands.

She hurled their decaying heads onto the cement, crimson blood splattering everywhere.

But the ones she had not gotten to yet, had already persisted towards Ascella.

Sweet Ella.

Calista and her fairly weak mother watched in absolute horror. The little girl who was once dancing around the house dressed in her excessive amount of princess dresses was now facing cruelty - an appalling form of it.

Her mother faced it shortly after, leaving Calista to drop to the ground while hysterical sobs escaped her lips.

"Stay graceful. It looks better on you. Be the living evidence that better things will come. The world will thank you for it." Her mother told her, as the monstrosities feasted on her.

She was feeble. Alone. And left with absolutely nothing.

Nobody is coming to save you, Calista. Get up.

And that's precisely what she did, and she never looked back.

✦✮✦