v. adequate

FIVE

adequate

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CALISTA SAVAS

        The end of the world. The monstrosities that took over the Earth, undoubtedly outnumbering the whole population of humankind. The things that shredded the living apart, nearly into tatters. The beings that would consume you while you were still alive, leaving no proof that you even breathed.

     This wasn't the only problem that lingered. The people. Humanity was different now, and not in a vigorous way either. They were violent. Something that Calista hated with a burning passion. There was more violence than peace because it wasn't just about living anymore. It wasn't about enjoying the one life you possessed. It wasn't about strengthening relationships or spending precious time with the ones you adore. It was about doing whatever you could, whatever it took, to withstand the arduous living conditions.

     Stood in front of Calista was a boy, who still had hope embedded deep within his icy blue eyes. He had to have some faith, considering that he asked Calista moments ago if she thought that there were still ample people enduring.

    The truth was, no. Calista didn't hold onto that faith anymore. She tried to, for her mother, but she eventually would have to let go of that in unfeasible theory as things gradually got worse.

    "Stay graceful. It looks better on you. Be the living evidence that better things will come. The world will thank you for it."

    Her mother meant everything she stated. Each word. Every space between the lines. Calista adored her mother more than anyone, she just wished that she could've seen her smile one last time. She wanted to keep her mother safe, but she couldn't. She couldn't keep her sister safe, and she could barely even keep herself safe.

    After pondering on the boy's question, she finally revealed her answer to him. "I don't know honestly." Carl peered at her, anticipating more from her.

"What do you mean?" He urged, his voice full of desire.

    Calista leaned her ax against the steps of the church. "I don't know. I mean, if you think about it, what would they get gain from being 'good'?'" Carl deliberated her answer for a moment. He nodded his head, displaying agreement. "I guess," he continued, "But don't you ever wonder? Why are we all against each other? It would be a lot simpler if we all worked together. Don't you think?" 

     The girl admired the boy's philosophy. It was refreshing to see someone with his mindset. There weren't a lot of people similar to him, not even before the outbreak. He was completely distinctive. An adequate form of distinctive.