Departure

Ally and her mom were leaving Australia for good in approximately 5 minutes. The boys hugged her tightly, but it didn’t feel right, not without Luke. “You didn’t tell him did you?” Ally asked. “We didn’t” they shook their heads sadly. She didn’t want him to know she was leaving. It would break him. It would break her. “Give him this for me, will you?”  she was shaking now. Ashton took the paper from her and nodded. “Flight Number 182, Los Angeles California, this will be your last call for departure” the robotic voice rung in all their ears. Everyone was tearful at this point. “I love you guys so much, keep in touch yeah?” she managed to stutter through the tears. 

One look behind her shoulder. Three boys, she’s grown to adore. Her best friends. And then, just like that she was gone. For good.

“Where is she” Luke arrived at the airport, breathless, one minute too late. When they told him that she’d gone, he shouted. He blamed them for not telling him sooner. Then he shouted at the guards for not letting him pass through. He punched Calum in the lip and blamed him for everything. Then he took Ally’s letter in his hands and started to sob, uncontrollably. “She wanted you to move on” Michael told Luke in the car, after he was escorted out of the airport for uncontrollable behavior. “Let her go man. Don’t let her hold onto something that will cease to exist someday. You can’t fix this over texts” he shook his head. And Luke sobbed into his shoulder, because he knew Michael was right. He had to let her move on. 

Ally’s breath was hitched all flight long. She cried and cried, until her cries turned into sobs and eventually she fell asleep with tears in her eyes and Luke on her mind.

Luke hurried home, shutting the door. Closing the curtains. He played her playlist as loud as he could. He ran his fingers over her hair tie, which was still on his wrist. He took a breath and prepared himself for a long nights of coldness and loneliness, of heartbreak and crying. He cautiously opened up the letter and began reading.

Luke, If you’re reading this right now, you’re probably wondering why the hell I didn’t tell you I was leaving. It’s simple. I didn’t want you getting hurt. I didn’t want us to suffer. So this is my goodbye to you. I want you to move on, live your life, without me. But keep me in your heart and remember me always. Because we once fell so deeply in love. And we’ll eventually learn to hide it, because I don’t think there’ll ever come a time where I’ll fall out of love with you. I love you, so much. I’m so in love with you that it pains me, yet its the best and greatest kind of pain I’ve ever felt. And I just want to thank you for giving me that. I want to thank you for giving me a love like this. I want to thank you for loving me back. I want to thank you for making me feel beautiful and worthy. You Luke, are the best thing that has ever happened to me. And I want to thank you for that. I don’t know what I’ve done for you, but I hope I played my part in your life. I hope you’ll learn to love someone else and I hope you’ll find what you want in the future because you truly deserve, the best. So this is my proper goodbye to you. 

Always and sincerely yours, Ally.