Track 26

"It's alright, we just need to go through it and grow, don't cry"

__________

Track 26

      "What are you watching?"

     Hwayoung shifted her eyes away from the restaurant TV to Aunt Mae before returning back to the screen. With a vacant lobby, Aunt Mae set down the wet rag used to wipe the tables and made her way to stand by Hwayoung. Parallel to the TV, both ladies watched as the news continued to give its daily reports to the nation. With the remote still in her hand, Hwayoung let out a shaky whisper, "I'm on TV."

     She turned up the volume, "Recent news has ransacked the entertainment industry as the CEO of SYC Entertainment Seo Youngchul's trial is scheduled for December 20th. Prosecutors have pressed charges against Mr. Seo for tax evasion, money laundering, sexual assault, and curating private prostitution rings for high level executives and other political figures. Current idols signed under his label have been questioned for involvement and cleared of all charges after careful investigation. Two current idols Lee Chaewon and Kang Hwayoung from disbanded Kpop group Kandie are confirmed to testify against Mr. Seo for their cooperation in the investigation."

     Another news anchor seamlessly took over the report as the camera zoomed in on their face, "Fans and even the public have expressed their concerns and doubts against the females' testimonies due to their previous scandal revolving around their disbandment. Worrisome viewers have especially targeted Kang Hwayoung, the main member responsible for Kandie's disban-"

     Hwayoung quickly turned off the TV, allowing herself to take deep breaths before peering at Aunt Mae. Empathetically, Aunt Mae slowly reached her hand out to gently bring Hwayoung's shaking one towards her. Aunt Mae caressed her hand before removing the remote from her iron-gripped hand. With a motherly tone, Aunt Mae looked at her with sympathetic eyes, "Oh, sweetie. It must be so hard for you."

     Hwayoung nodded her head in acknowledgement, not trusting that her voice was stable enough to carry out what she wanted to say. The subtle tears in her eyes threatening to fall glistened as she tilted her head back in efforts to keep herself in check. After a moment, Hwayoung was able to compose herself with a deep breath, "It's not like they're wrong, but I don't see how my career has any involvement with the trial. I just wished that they focused on the real matter like putting Yongchul in prison along with his lackeys instead of gossiping about old drama."

     "Well," Aunt Mae put a comforting hand on Hwayoung's shoulder to ease the slight trembles, "You of all people understand that that's how gossip channels work. But it's unbelievable that the media like Mix-Matched exploit things that are a matter of legal prosecution."

     Hwayoung nodded sadly, thinking about her past once again. Just as fast as the memories resurfaced, Hwayoung was quick to repress them. Now was definitely not the time to be feeling bad for herself. She had done plenty of that already.

     Aunt Mae gave her a soft squeeze, noticing the pain and discomfort in her eyes. Having that motherly sense, Aunt Mae set down the remote on the nearest counter, "Go home, Hwayoung. It's going to snow soon. I want to make sure that you make it home safely before it does."

     "But it's not even closing time yet."

     Aunt Mae nodded with a nonchalant shrug, "All the other restaurants on the block are closing for the night too. Plus, there's nobody in the lobby and I doubt that anybody is going to leave their homes tonight."