~ Chapter Six ~

The gentle rocking does nothing to soothe my nerves as I perch on the edge of the hammock in Tamar's room. Through the small porthole before me, I can see the miles of open sea around us. Nowhere for me to run. No way to escape this waking nightmare I've found myself in.

What do I do now? I'm not sure if I want to throw my arms around him or break his nose again, but I have the feeling when I see him I'll know.

Despite the raw emotion buzzing in my mind, I'm more certain than ever that it's him. Nikolai, who I haven't seen in ages. Nikolai, who knew everything about me. Nikolai, who never lied, not to me.

Except he did. This entire week aboard the Volkvolny has been one big charade and for what? I thought I knew him, but I guess he's just another courtier with a hidden agenda.

Just like the rest of them.

A soft knock at the door makes me jump, followed by the familiar drawling voice of Sturmhond, "I'm going to come in now Kora, can I trust that you won't attack me again."

"No," I mutter beneath my breath, turning so that my back is to the door. I can't bear the thought of seeing him, the real him.

Behind me, I hear the door creak open and a few soft steps as he enters the cabin. Every muscle tenses, waiting for his touch to burn against my skin again. It doesn't and after a long moment, I release a slow breath, letting my shoulders sink away from my ears.

"Not even going to look at the damage you caused to my lovely face?" He asks coyly.

My stomach roils. The way he talks, I should have seen it before.

"I've got an extraordinary imagination." I cut back, the words sharp with all the resentment mounting in my gut.

He sighs, "Did you get more stubborn, Kora?"

"Did you get more infuriating, Nikolai?" I ask, spinning around to face the boy who I'm now certain is the Prince.

As soon as my gaze lands on him my anger begins to slip. His familiar hazel eyes are bright with humor as if this is the best prank he ever could have pulled. It's him all right, though he's aged well in the five years since I last saw him. The gangly fourteen-year-old Prince has been replaced with lean muscles and a strong jaw, so unlike either of his relatives.

I force myself to ignore the fact that his smile is more dazzling than ever. Instead, I focus on the frustration still bottled up inside.

"You've been lying to me this whole time!" I snap, jumping to my feet my face burning with anger, "You knew who I was the second I stepped foot and this ship and yet you kept me in the dark, toying with me. I mean, Saints Nickolai, I haven't seen you in five years. I think I deserve a hello, especially after the way you left."

He waits, face impassive as he leans against the cabin door. I fume for another second but I've never been one to hold onto anger. Nikolai knows this, and so he waits. With each moment my fury subsides, ebbing away like the tide.

I glare at him, though there's no malice behind it now. As furious as I was at the lie, it's too good to see his face.

When Nikolai finally speaks again I understand why I didn't recognize him before. The pitchy voice of the fourteen-year-old I knew is nothing like the smooth cocky tones he's grown into now, "Feel good to get that out of your system?"

I nod slightly, unsure what to do now.

"I'm glad." He swaggers forward, crossing his arms over his chest. There are still small crimson dots speckling his coat but his nose seems to be fixed. Or at least the blood has stopped. "Because that is definitely the last time I try and kiss you."