Chapter 7

"But... how? How do you have a picture of Melissa?!"
"Ava, this girl is wanted by Athosia. She was a Virvania spy, and somehow vanished into thin air..." the king's eyebrows furrowed. "Now we know where she went, but not how she got to Earth."
"What do you mean, how? Obviously she was transported because of those light things, right?" I asked.
"Dad, do you think she harnessed the light powers?"
The king snorted in laughter. "Melissa is nothing more than a rotten scoundrel, and I'll be happy when she's beheaded for spying on us!"
My eyes grew wide. "Did Melissa... could she use magic?"
"Oh no. This is not good! What if she could? What if she was using magic on Earth!" Jason exclaimed, running his fingers through his hair.
"We don't even know if anyone can use magic on Earth, Jason. Just relax, please."
Jason nodded slightly, a solemn expression on his face. "Okay," he mumbled.
"I think she cast a spell over the people in our city. But the curse didn't have any affect on me... Why is that?"
"I'm not sure... but I do know that we need to get you back to Earth," the king said grimly. "Right away. As soon as possible."
My eyes dropped to the ground. Two days ago I would've agreed readily. But now...
"Ava?"
I bit my lip. "But I love this place!" I blurted out.
"You haven't even been here for three full days yet - you haven't seen the dark side of Desridore, yet. Besides, you belong on Earth."
I shook my head. "I want to help you. I want to figure out... why me? Why was I the one who was brought here? There's a reason, and I want to know why!
The king stayed silent for several moments. "Virvania."
"Pardon?" I narrowed my eyes in confusion.
He held up the book of prophecies. "The other pages about you are ripped out - the ruler of Virvania must have it."
"Who?"
The king took a deep breath, faced me squarely, and said, "My sister."