Chapter 14

I woke up, and found a small group of people surrounding me.
"What do we do with her?" a tall, red headed man asked, glancing at me.
I opened my mouth to speak, only making a small squeak.
My hands flew to my throat.
"Bring her to the kingdom, I guess?" The woman shrugged.
"What if she's from Athosia?" Redhead questioned. "Hey, where're you from, girly?"
I struggled to speak, and cleared my throat a few times. "I don't know. Why can't I talk properly?" I demanded in a whisper.
"We used magic," another man - in his estimated early forties - spoke up.
I blinked slowly, then sat up. I was still on the ground, Morningstar tied to a tree beside me.
"What is she, anyway?" The woman peered at my face.
I frowned. "I'm a human girl, what else would I be?"
"An elf? A witch? An evil sorceress trying to kill us all?" The old guy went on a rant about how I was some evil freak.
I rolled my eyes. "My name is Ava, and I think just woke up from some kind of sleeping curse. The last thing I remember is a lady singing some kind of lullaby to me. Maybe it was a spell or curse of some kind? I bet she's the witch you're looking for."
Redhead appeared confused. "How long do you think you were asleep?"
I shrugged. "Probably just a few days, my horse is still alive, after all."
"I guess it was temporary... where are you from?" The woman tightened her grip on her sword, and eyes me warily.
"I barely remember anything, to be honest." I slightly widened my eyes, and pretended to be innocent and confused.
The three people huddled together and whispered.
I sighed, then waited patiently for a few moments while they discussed what to do with me.
I pointedly cleared my throat in an over exaggerated hint.
Old guy glanced at me, a snarl on his face. "Shut up over there."
"Ava, you're coming back with us to Virvania."
I tilted my head quizzically, shooting Redhead a bewildered look. "Virvania?"
He sighed. "C'mon, let's go."
"What's Virvania?!" I asked in frustration.
"Where," the woman corrected. "It's our home."
"Who are you anyway?"
"We're hunters. We came out here to do some hunting, but we found you instead."
"Well you know my name, what are yours?"
"I'm Garret," the redhead said, and gestured toward the woman and old man - the other two. "That's Courtney and Aylmer."
"What are you going to do with me?" I questioned in a small voice.
Garret hesitated. "You'll be the judge of that."