Chapter 13

I woke up with a start in the morning, as Morningstar let out a neigh.
I sat straight up and the bright sun shone on my face. I let out a sleepy yawn.
I dug in my knapsack and found a few apples. I took a bite of one, and fed the other to Morningstar.
After eating and drinking some water, I untied her and we were off again.
When noon rolled around, I decided to stop for a couple moments and let Morningstar have a break. I sat down on the ground, ate some food and drank some water. I pulled out the map, and my eyebrows furrowed as I stared at it. "I think we're almost there."
I heard a twig snap and I whirled around, my eyes met with someone else's...
"I'm sorry," a voice whispered, then all I saw was darkness, hovering around me like a cloudy weight...

"Where am I?" I asked in a groggy voice, my eyes fluttering open.
A dark figure loomed on top of me, and I could only tell it was a woman, probably in her early twenties.
"It's okay," she whispered, her voice sending chills down my spine. "I'm not the enemy."
I blinked rapidly, and squinted at her. "Who are you."
"They're coming," she rasped. "Find out the truth before it's too late. Ava, you're Desridore's last hope. You're my last hope."
"Who's coming?" I struggled to sit up, and I stared into the mysterious woman's large green eyes. They were filled with sadness, regret, and fear.
"Them. The people who came after Margret Kendrick."
I searched my mind for why that name seemed familiar. My mom! "What do you mean, 'they came after my mom'? Who? And why?!"
Tears swam in the lady's eyes. "You will eventually get the answers you seek. Maybe from me, maybe not. But, Ava, in Destidore, everyone is your enemy. There is no friend and foe. This game that we call life here... is deadly, and you can never be too careful with whom you put your faith in."
Slowly, she disappeared, fading like a ghost, until her body was shimmering and was nearly entirely gone.
"I need answers! Don't go," I begged.
"Patience, Ava."
"How do you know me? My name? My mom?"
"All in time - but for now, be patient. Your questions will be answered soon." she shot me a sad smile, and then vanished in front of my two green eyes. "Goodbye."
A bright light appeared, momentarily blinding me.
Then everything went dark...