Chapter 20

After getting some extra rest, Jason left to go tell his father about my return.
I felt a tinge of anxiety as I waited anxiously for the King to enter my room.
"Ava!" The king strode in, and at his side was Jason.
A wave of relief washed over me as soon as I caught sight of the adorable brown-haired boy.
My eyes lit up and I struggled to sit straight.
Jason rushed to my side, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "How ya feeling?"
"I've been better," I said. "A little sluggish, I'll admit."
"Are you hungry? I'll go get you something." Jason darted off, leaving just me and the King of Athosia in the room.
"Welcome back, my lady."
I nodded to him. "Hello, Sir."
I glanced at him, taking in his honey coloured hair and electric blue eyes.
Jason looks nothing like his father, I noticed.
"I heard word that you retrieved the pages from the book. I doubt Katherine was pleased when she realized they disappeared."
Nodding, I forced a laugh. "She was pretty peeved at me, I'll bet." I stared down at my necklace, the one Jason gave me. Does it actually have powers? It transported me back home, didn't it?
And what if this is all a dream? Nothing more than a continuous vision when I fall asleep?
Just the thought of Jason being a hallucination, nothing more than someone my mind created, made me want to cry.
No, I tell myself. This is real. My feelings for him are real, and I have to stop Desridore and Earth from colliding.
If I fail, then people from Earth will experience dragons, elves and fairies, and they'll all think they're going insane! I have to stop it...
I looked up at the King. "Should we look over the pages together."
He nodded. "Let's go down to the dining room and meet up with Jason - he's been all doom and gloom since you left for Virvania."
I tried to hide a smile as I thought about Jason missing me.
"I think he's getting you some food, too."
I stumbled out of bed, rubbing my eyes. "Great, I'm starved."
We headed downstairs into the dining room, and found Jason already sitting at a table.
"Hope you like fruit," Jason said, nodding toward the huge platter of fruit in the middle of the table.
"Who doesn't?"
"And if you want something else, feel free to ask one of the servants to whip up something for you."
"Cool, thanks."
I sat down in the seat beside Jason, and helped myself to some juicy looking pieces of melon.
"You have the pages with you, I presume," the King stated, taking a seat on the other side of his son.
I nodded, reached into my pocket, and pulled out several sheets of wrinkled papers.
"Excellent, let me have a look."
I leaned slightly forward in my seat and handed the ripped out pages to the King.
He stared at them, and began to silently read.
I threw a grape into my mouth, waiting for him to finally finish and tell me what in the world is going on.
"I see..."
"WHAT?!" I exploded.
"Here, have a look for yourself." the King handed me the ancient-looking papers.
Fearfully, I began to read. About me.
What's going on?
Half of it was in some kind of language that I didn't understand, but most was in English.
Ava Eccles is a very special girl, being in the Eccles bloodline has much to do with that. One day she will be forced to save Desridore, as well as another planet that goes by the name of Earth. Ava has potential in magic, specifically in healing and fiery destruction. Though some call her a witch or sorceress, it's not true. In fact, Ava possesses powers that are unclear to us, yet in the future might make more sense. It's hard to know how Ava will stop this disaster, a brutal collision between worlds - there are other worlds out there, not just Earth. They're at stake too - all their lives could be taken from them if Ava doesn't save them all. Ava needs to know who she truly is, and dig deep to find her potential, the magician inside of her. She needs to figure out how to save us, and how to control the light powers that run in her family, in her very blood. When she finds who she truly is, when she realizes what truly matters to her, then she can harness the powers of light. That's the only way to defeat whatever evil creature is lurking behind the shadows, causing this destruction.
She's our last hope.
****
I glanced up from the pages, my mind swirling with thoughts and racing with questions. There it goes, the light powers again, whatever that is. And what about my bloodline? How could they know about me, my family? How did they sketch that picture of me? I probably wasn't even born at that time! What's so special about me, my history, my life?
I set down the papers, a shocked expression on my face. I had a blank stare as I watched a couple of birds outside. I remembered the last line of the page:
She's our last hope.
Is it true? Am I really the only one who can stop all this madness and restore peace to the land of Desridore? Can I destroy whatever the evil creature is?
Do I even have the ability to harness these 'Light Powers'?
"Ava, are you okay? What did it say?" Jason asked softly, staring into my eyes.
I heard his voice in the background, although it was hard to make out.
Almost as if it was... A dream?
I shook my head, as if trying to forget about the frivolous notion.
"It's true, Jason. I'm my world, and yours, last hope." my mine was in a daze as I realized how important this was - that I'm actually destined for great things.
"How is it happening? How are our worlds colliding?"
"Someone's behind this," I said bitterly, my eyes narrowing. "And they're going to pay."