Chapter Seventeen

Evangeline
*One week later*

"Bambina! Carina said they have everything set up!" I yelled up the stairs.
"Coming!" Amelia walked down the stairs wearing a tight pink dress and flats.
"You look beautiful." I took her hand and helped her down the last few stairs.
"As do you." She pressed a kiss against my lips. I was wearing black jeans with a blue button up shirt.

"Are you ready to find out what we're having?" I asked.
"So ready. Who all is coming today?"
"Everyone we know apparently. Carina and Maya really went all out today." I grabbed our purses and we walked outside to the car.

"What do you want?" She asked.
"I don't care as long as our baby is healthy and happy."
"Me too. But I wouldn't mind having a girl. A mini Evangeline running around." She smiled.

I felt that twinge in my stomach that had been bothering me for the past week. This baby is mine, but not really mine.

"Come on bella, let's go."

"There's the mammas!" Carina said excitedly as we walked into the house.
"Ciao Carina. Thank you for putting all this together." I hugged my sister.
"It's no problem. We had fun doing it. Amelia you look amazing." Carina hugged her.
"Thank you."
"Travis and I made everything you've been craving. He works with Maya, he's an amazing cook."
"Oh my God, I don't even know him and I already love him." Amelia laughed.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone." I took Amelia's hand and led her outside.
"There's the Moms!" Maya shouted as we walked outside.
"Hey everyone. Amelia, this is the crew at Station 19. That's Dean, Jack, Vic, Andy, Robert, and Travis. And you already know Ben."
"Nice to meet you all. Thank you for coming. And thank you for helping Carina cook Travis. You're already my favorite." Amelia said with a huge smile.
"It's no problem. Anything for the firehouse baby." Travis told her.
"Fire house baby!" Dean chanted.

"Fire house baby?" Amelia questioned.
I shot Dean and Travis a look, and ushered Amelia back inside.
"I was going to talk to you when we got home tonight." I sat her down on the couch.
"Evangeline, what's going on? You're worrying me."
"I'm uh... I'm going to be working at Station 19."
"You're what?"
"They needed someone to help Ben run the PRT. I won't be running into too many fires, I'll mostly be doing surgery in the vehicle."
"But you're an OB."
"I did my time in trauma too. I just finalized everything a few days before we got back together, I was going to tell you tonight, I didn't want to ruin today."
"It's a little late for that. Not only do I have to worry about the baby inside of me, I have to worry about you running into fires? Are you fucking kidding me right now?" Amelia had tears in her eyes.

"Amelia, I want this. I really, really want this. I know it wasn't part of the plan, but I have to do something more. Please be okay with this." I sat next to her and grabbed her hands.
Amelia closed her eyes and breathed in and out.

"Amy? Bambina, talk to me."
"I swear Evangeline DeLuca. If you die in a stupid fire, I'm gonna kill you."
"Wait, really? You're okay with it?"
"I mean, like you said. You really want this. I'm not gonna be the one to hold you back from your dream. But you have to promise me you'll always come home to me and our baby."

"I promise. I'll always come home to my loves." I gave her a quick kiss.
"Now come on. Let's go figure out what we're having so we can eat." Amelia stood up off the couch.

We walked outside holding hands, Amelia went to say hi to Meredith and Maggie and I walked over to my new team. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to say anything." Dean said quickly.
"It's okay. It just made me tell her sooner than I wanted to. She's okay with it though." I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.
"You know, you don't have to do this if you don't want to." Ben told me.
"I really want to though. I mean, helping people is my dream. And if I can help more by joining Station 19 and doing the PRT, then I'm all for it. I just don't want her to worry."
"She's going to worry. She's dating a fire fighter. But at least her and Carina can help each other out with that." Maya squeezed my arm.

"Okay everyone! Time to find out the sex of the baby!" Carina shouted.

Amelia and I walked over to Carina and she handed us confetti cannons.
"Just twist and either pink or blue will come out." Carina said excitedly as she started recording.
"Are you ready?" I asked Amelia.
"So ready."

"Five, four, three, two, one!" Everyone counted down.
We twist the confetti cannons, and pink confetti came out.
"Oh my God!" I exclaimed.
"It's a girl! We're having a girl!" Amelia cried with tears running down her face.
I picked her up and spun her around, the confetti still falling around us.
"We're having a girl." I pressed a kiss to her lips.
"This is the best day ever!" Amelia wiped her face and turned to face everyone.
I pulled the small box out of my pocket, and got down on one knee as her back was turned to me.

Everyone in the crowd gasped, "What? Do I have something on my dress?" Amelia looked down.
"Turn around bambina." I told her.

She turned and her hand flew to her mouth, "Oh my God."
"I know we said we wanted to wait till we got engaged, but I'm so in love with you I don't think I can wait another minuet. You're the love of my life, and I can't wait to raise our little girl together as a family. Amelia Frances Shepherd, will you marry me?"
"Yes! Oh my God yes!" Amelia exclaimed.

I stood up and slid the ring on her finger, wrapping my arms around her and pressing my lips against hers again.
Everyone clapped and cheered for us.

"Oh my God! You didn't tell me you were going to do that!" Carina said.
"Because you can't keep a secret. That's why we had to do the gender reveal today, remember?"
"I knew." Meredith and Maya said together.
"You told my sister and Maya?" Amelia laughed out.
"Of course. Who do you think helped me pick out the ring? And I had to ask Meredith's blessing so I could ask you to marry me." I wrapped my arm around Amelia's waist and pulled her close to me.
"You're cheesy. I'll be right back, I'm gonna go get some food." Amelia kissed my cheek and walked off with Meredith.

"So, your doubts went away?" Carina asked.
"Nope. But they will." I sighed.
"Are you sure? I mean, this is a lot for someone-"
"I'm sure. This is my kid. I stepped up. She's my daughter." I interrupted Carina.
"I know. But do you know that?"