CHAPTER THREE

Atticus' POV:

'She laid there, eyes closed and her hands folded over her chest in an 'x'. She looked so peaceful, dead. I wiped a tear off of my face, Scout and Jem sobbing by her side. 'Oh, Addison. How will I function without you?''

I sat up, sweat pouring down my face. She laid next to me, she's been like this for about 24 hours. I didn't like to see her in pain, it hurt my heart. I sighed, and then felt the tiny tear starting to surface, and I let it. I wept and sobbed for my wife, who had been assaulted because she was married to me.

"Atticus? Darling, why are you weeping?" she sat up and I felt her cold hand wipe the tears on the right side of my face, kissing it after.

"I'm weeping for you, angel." she chuckled and wrapped her arms around my middle, her head right on my heart. It beat fast, and she knew it. She kissed my lips, cradling the side of my face.

"Don't weep for me, Atticus. I'll be fine. I say different for the Ewell boys." she runs a hand through my messy hair, the hair laying lazily in my eyes. "Ooh, why won't you wear your hair like this?" I chuckled, ruffling her brown curls, making them lay in her eyes.

"Ooh, why won't you wear your hair like this?" she giggles, trying to blow a few strands out of her eyes. I chuckle and brush the strands out of her face, leaning down to press a chaste kiss to her lips. A knock at the door interrupts our moment as Cal enters, smiling lightly.

"Missus Finch, Mister Finch, Sherriff Tate wants ta speak to ya." I nod, Cal closing the door. I get up, running my hands through my messy hair.

"Honey, it must have been cold without a shirt on." she gets up, feeling my hands, my forehead, and then my arms. I forgot that I didn't wear a shirt last night, my bare torso having felt no different.

"It doesn't bother me, you're a walking heater, my dear." the corner of her lip tips up in a smirk and she turns to the closet. She pulls out a orange summer dress and white pumps.

She puts all that on behind the screen in our bedroom, walking into the bathroom. I get into the closet, grabbing my usual three piece suit, except no overcoat, it's too hot for that. I get all that on mentioned, and she walks out, looking as beautiful as the day I first met her. Her brown, curly hair laid on her shoulders, a headband on top of her head.

"Why, Mr. Finch, you look mighty handsome." she smiles wide, opening the bedroom door, stumbling a tiny bit.

"Here, let me help you, Mrs. Finch." I picked her up similar to how I did it our wedding day, walking downstairs. We enter the kitchen, Jem and Scout sitting at the table with.....Alexandra?

"Hello, Atticus. Hello, Miss Mayville." I place Addison down into a chair and she smiles kindly at Alexandra.

"Hello Alexandra. How have you been?" she asks politely, kissing Jem and Scout 'hello'.

"I've been fine." she says coldly, Addison shrinking down.

"Alexandra." I cajoled her, Alexandra still felt like Addison wasn't good enough for me.

"Well, we better get going. We gotta meet Heck at the station. Jem, Scout, be good for Alexandra." Addison stands and wobbles, Cal catching her before she could fall. "Thank you, Cal!" she straightens up and rubs the back of her neck in embarrassment.

"OK, let's go." she nods, waving at Alexandra, and latches onto my arm.

"Atticus," Alexandra started, clearing her throat, "I need to speak with you when you get back." I nod, turning away to walk out of the door, not before grabbing my fedora.

"What to do you think Alexandra wants to talk to you about?" I looked down at her, pressing a kiss to the crown of her head.

"I'll have to see when I'm get there, missy." she sighed and leaned onto my shoulder.

"Oh, hello Mrs. Hamilton!" Mrs. May Hamilton reminded me of Mrs. Dubose in a way. Old, cruel, and addicted to morphine.

"Hello, Addison!" she waved at her and glared at me, I guess she doesn't like me.

"How have you been, Mrs. Hamilton?" she let go of my arm and ventured to Mrs. Hamilton's gate, leaning on it.

"Good, my dear. Is it true those Ewell boys attacked someone?" she gulped, looking around.

"I---yes, I suppose." Mrs. Hamilton studied Addison and reached a conclusion.

"Oh, I oughta kill them Ewell boys, for laying a hand on our southern belle." she giggled, looking to me.

"Thank you, Mrs. Hamilton. Me an' Atticus are on our way to see Heck at the station. Have a good rest of your day!" she waved and walked back to me, leaning on me for support.

"You too, honey." then we continued our walk. Passing by we saw Jem, Scout, Dill, and Rebecca playing around at Arthur's place, Arthur being outside and watching them. Rebecca is Addison's niece, her sister having had a stroke and passed away two years ago.

"Atticus, are we almost there? I feel faint." my eyes traveled to her sorry state, her hair in her face, she was breathing heavily, and she looked mighty pale.

"Yes, angel. There is the station right there." she sighed in relief, walking with hope.

"Aye, Atticus!" we turn and see Heck, jogging to catch up with us.

"Heck, you needed us?"

"Yeah, the two boys were apprehended. We just need Mrs. Finch to identify them as the attackers." she nods, which is a signal for me to walk her inside of the building. Heck entered first, followed by me and Addison. He guided us into a room, a jail cell attached with two young gentleman.

"Are they who attacked you, Mrs. Finch?" she studies them, then opens her mouth.

"Yessir. These men attacked me."