CHAPTER SIX

Addison's POV:

There I was, at the witness stand. I looked into the sea of people, feeling strange. In all of my years, It's never been this way. I was careful, set in my ways. I was to be married to my uncle (something that was repulsive as Hell) and live at his plantation. I ran away.

I ran to Maycomb and established a life, married to a lawyer and we had two kids. My sister caught a spell and passed. I was left with Rebecca, that I treated as my own. Tom Robinson lived and is with his family, and Bob Ewell is doing so as well, having got out.

I felt......

Like I needed....

Atticus.

He stood at the table, across from the one that held Mr. Gilmer and the two ruffians that aroused my PTSD. Atticus gazed imploringly upon my features, asking a question, asking for a truth in this wacky game of two truths and a lie.

'I will love you, unconditionally.' he told me one day, a fit overtook my body, inacting my sweat glands. I remember, I love him, unconditionally.

"That's right, Mr. Finch." I spoke, my tiny voice still filling the smallest cracks.

"Mrs. Finch, did these two gentleman harass you?" I nod, wringing my hands in nervousness.

"Say it out loud, Mrs. Finch." I clear my throat and say the phrase, the taste like lead. They nodded, Atticus sat down, a smile gracing his handsome features. The corner of my lip twitched up, then it coiled into a frown when Mr. Gilmer stood to cross-examine.

"Mrs. Finch, where were you before the whole thing?"

"I was in Washington D.C., sir. For a teacher convention and had Miss Caroline teach my classes." he nods, a 'hmph' coming from his mouth.

"Mrs. Finch, would you say that you were.....sexually active?" I blush bright red, my personal business would be said in this courtroom.

"I--"

"Answer the question."

"Yes. I would say I am. How'd you think the two kids got here, a stork?" Atticus stops himself from smiling, hiding behind his hand.

"Please stop snarking him, Mrs. Finch." I purse my lips, looking right into the eyes of a hawk.

"So, you are sexually active. How do you know that this didn't have consent?" I stood up, glaring.

"Are you suggesting I committed adultery? I love Atticus, and would never do such a thing. The only man I have given consent is my husband! NO ONE ELSE." I sit back down, coughing into my handkerchief.

"OK, no adultery. Are you--"

"Objection, badgering the witness!" Atticus interfered, his voice booming in the house of law.

"Mr. Gilmer, please move on." Judge Taylor told Mr. Gilmer, Mr. Gilmer excusing his last question.

"Sorry. Mrs. Finch, why did you have such a need as to sit with the two?"

"They didn't have anywhere to sit. I let them sit across from me. They were nice until I identified myself as the wife of Atticus Finch. That is when they attacked me." he nods, then looks right into my face.

"Mrs. Finch, how long were you," he steps closer to me and leans into my face, "compromised."

Pain.

Suffering.

Terrible words.

I started fidgeting, wanting him to back away. I needed to get away. I felt light-headed, like I needed to throw up. I pushed him away, and stood up. I ran out of the courtroom, and to the restroom. I hurled until my body hurt, a woman coming in that I identified as Missy.

"Addison? Are you OK?" I groan, and start to cry.

"He--was--" I sobbed louder, shaking the walls, "too---close." I hacked and coughed.

"Missy? They need Addison." I got up, holding my stomach. Missy walked me back in, giving Mr. Gilmer a glare she was famous for.

"Addison, are you OK, honey?" Atticus asked me, tucking a burgundy hair behind my pale ear.

"I don't feel well, but I'll make it. Make sure he doesn't step near me or I'll punch him." I whisper, kissing his cheek. I sat back down in the chair, clutching the handkerchief like it was my life support.

"Please refrain from giving Mrs. Finch PTSD, that one has a mighty punch." Judge Taylor lamented, awfully bored in his own courthouse.

"Mrs. Finch, please. How long were you compromised?"

"I--it felt forever. They both took turns--" I kept on, all the horrifying things made tears fall down my dry face, Atticus cringed and put his face in his hands, and Judge Taylor looked ready to vomit.

"I have no further questions." I sat over at the table my Atticus, his hand coiled around mine, pressing his nose into my neck as he whispered, "whatever happens, I love you, Angel," I smile, kissing him gently.

"Let's take a 10 minute recess." I shuffled out with Atticus leading me into his office. I stepped in after him, closing the door behind me. He turned and faced me, something clouding his brown eyes.

"Mrs. Addison Louise May Finch. My, oh, my." I looked at him with confusion in my features, until he captured my lips into a rough kiss, picking me up. I relax when I realize he means no harm and run my fingers through his ebony strands, his hands staying trained on my legs and making sure I didn't fall. I pull him closer, our chests touching. I didn't want to ever let go of this. He was Heaven and I was never going.

"Mr. Finch?" the door knob jiggles, making me squeal with shock. I hop down, opening the door. "Mrs. Finch, is Mr. Finch there?" I nod, opening the door further to where he could see Atticus.

"Heck?" Heck Tate stepped inside, looking around Atticus' office.

"Mrs. Finch, you might want to leave." I cock my head, my eyebrows furrowing in question.

"Why? Whatever you need to say to Atticus you can say to me."

"The Ewell boys ran. They--they took Scout with them."