Chapter 4

The next morning, Lord Julian had called me to his office and Diego came to my room to get me.

Zoey squeaked when she saw him. "Good morning, Diego!"

He nodded at her, his eyes sparkling, slightly. Then, he turned to me and grinned. "Let's go."

We walked in silence to the office, but before we opened the door, he grabbed my arm gently.

"How's it here?"

I sighed. "Besides my constantly excited roommate and the one who won't even look at me, I'll say things are going fine."

Diego chuckled. "Don't worry. You'll get used to it. There are many other people here besides Zoey Pepperson and Steph Fee."

I giggled a little bit at the mention of Steph's full name. "Steph. Fee? Like... Stephie?"

Diego hushed me. "She hates it when anyone calls her that. So don't. Okay?"

I nodded and we entered Lord Julian's office, still smiling slightly.

"Hello, Clover. Hello, son. Thank you both for coming," Lord Julian said to us. "We have good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?

I looked at Diego, who avoided my glance. Clearly this was my decision. "Bad news. Oh... good news? No, bad news."

Lord Julian blinked and then nodded. "Okay, bad news first. The group I sent to your house, they came back."

I gasped. "Really? Are my parents okay? What about Daisy and Fern?"

Lord Julian looked at me, rather sadly. "I'm sorry, Clover. Neither your parents nor Fern made it through the attack."

My body froze, I didn't dare to breathe.

"Excuse me, what!?" I exclaimed.

"They didn't come for them. Once they got who they wanted, they... got rid of the rest. There was nothing that could have been done," Lord Julian replied. I saw Diego leaning against the bookcase, seeming as if he was also surprised.

"So you're saying... our parents and brother died because of Daisy?"

Lord Julian stared at me, his eyes full of sorrow. Nobody said anything, until I fully understood.

"No, I'm wrong about that, aren't I? The Cloaked didn't come for Daisy, they came for... me."

Lord Julian rushed over to me and gave me a quick hug, which surprised me. That led me to start crying. I had been responsible for their deaths. It was all my fault.

Lord Julian walked back to his desk. "You're here, now. You'll be protected. I'm so sorry about what happened," he said calmly.

Diego spoke up. "What's the good news, Father?"

Lord Julian took out a few pieces of paper from his desk. "Clover Southland, we know where your sister is."

I immediately gripped his desk. "Where? I have to find her!"

He gulped. "Well... really, we know who she's with, which is enough information to try and find her. Which we will. Just give us time."

"I don't have time! Daisy is twelve! She doesn't even know her powers that well yet! She could be burning things up right now or teleporting to different planets!"

"Please calm down," urged Diego. "They're all trying their best to find her, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll calm down!" I yelled. "You don't know what it's like to lose someone. In my case, everyone I knew and loved. Daisy's the only person I have left! You came from this... perfect family so you have zero worries, so don't you dare tell me to calm down!"

Oh no. I did not just explode on Diego, the principal's son and maybe one of my only friends, again.