Chapter 11

We spent the rest of the day practicing to control our abilities. Lord Julian pulled me aside to work on mind reading.

"Mind reading is so important. Especially if you want to hear what your enemies are thinking. But if anyone knows you can mind read, they'll try and have a wall outside of their thoughts. Only really powerful elves can do that."

"But, how am I supposed to get past that wall?" I wondered.

"Don't worry about that yet. First, let's find someone who'll let you read their mind," Lord Julian smiled.

"Well... I don't exactly have anyone who would---"

"Parker!" he called out.

Wait, what? I was going to read the mind of Parker. Florest.

"I'll get him. Stay here." A minute later, Lord Julian returned with a scowling version of Parker. Oh, wait. He was always scowling.

"You volunteered to have Clover read your mind. Thank you for doing so."

Parker rolled his eyes and folded his arms across his chest. "It's better than detentions."

He clearly wanted to be here, I thought, annoyed. Why did I have to read Parker's mind, of all people.

"Okay, to begin. You have to focus on the person. Stare into their eyes, if possible."

I turned towards Parker, who released his arms, causing them to fall on his side. I raised my head until they met his emerald green eyes.

"Good. Now repeat the phrase I told you before in your head," directed Lord Julian.

I nodded and mouthed, "I know what you're thinking, I know what you want to think, and I know what you don't want to think." I kept repeating it until I sensed something different in mind.

Her eyes are so blue. The colour Johnny liked. Oh, wait. I better think about something else. Little Miss Clover's peeking through my mind.

I giggled at that, which alarmed Parker. His thoughts quickly switched to something different.

Why am I here? I could be sleeping in class back at FC. Ugh. Why did Zoey force me to follow her? So annoying.

I was offended. I quickly removed myself from his mind and stormed up to him.

"Just so you know, I, Little Miss Clover, didn't ask you to be here. I'm sorry Zoey forced you to come here or whatever, but feel free to leave anytime you'll like. I don't want to stop you from napping at school. So bye. I'll find that aerokinetic girl and Daisy myself," I snapped.

Lord Julian cleared his throat from beside me. Whoops, I had forgotten he was there. With one last glare at Parker, I stomped away. One thing for sure, I liked mind reading way less than I had expected.