Chapter 34: Letter

Bethane's POV:

When the sun hits my eyes the next morning, I slowly open my eyes, hating how bright it is.

I realize that I shifted so much that I'm on the other side of the bed now. Last night, I had come back from my shower and Rider was already on the floor. We did not say one word to each other, though when I look down, I don't see him here anymore.

I can't help but feel guilty because I'm technically the one who made him sleep on the floor.

I shoot out of bed and quickly brush my teeth before walking down the steps, hoping I wasn't the reason he left or couldn't sleep.

"Where's Rider?" I ask my mom who's cooking breakfast in the kitchen.

"He said he had to take a phone call outside," she answers.

I can't hide the relief that washes over me that he didn't leave. Though, right as it does, I tell myself how it shouldn't be there. Not after everything that came flooding back last night. I should feel nothing for him.

I hear the door open right as my mother informs me where he was.

My head snaps as I watch Rider walk into the kitchen without giving me the slightest acknowledgment when he passes right by me.

"Hey, you two ready for breakfast?" my mom yells over the exhaust fan.

"Umm...I actually have to get back home," Rider says so suddenly that I barely catch on until a couple of seconds later.

This time, he glances over at me as responsibility overwhelms my body which like I said, should not be something I'm feeling, especially for him.

"Is everything alright?" My mom walks towards us with concern in her eyes.

"Yeah." Rider shakes his head instantly. "Our plan was for me to just drop Bethane. I have a few meetings tomorrow, so I should start driving now." I know he's lying because he had given me a whole speech on how a break means no work.

My mom oh's, disappointment clearly written on her face.

Rider apologizes before going to my bedroom to get ready to leave.

"Did something happen between you two?" my mom asks once Rider's gone.

"I'll be right back." I decide not to elaborate as I walk behind him and into my room.

When I step inside, I see he's already almost done packing his bag since we've only been here for one night.

"I'll leave the keys here and I already got an Uber, so I'll see you when you get back." He chooses not to look at me as he grabs his charger from the side table.

"You don't have to leave." I don't know what else to say because what the hell do I say in this type of conversation?

I hate him but I don't want him to leave. What is wrong with me?

"I don't know what the fuck your want from me," he chuckles, finally turning his head around to look at me.

I shut the door beside me.

"I know you don't have work," I call out his bluff.

"No Bethane, I had work. Noah needed me to do some things for him this morning because of his new client, but I told him I couldn't so I could come here with you," he corrects me, and I hate how my full name sounds coming off his tongue. When he calls me Beth it's usually playful and nice, and I'd much rather prefer that.

"That doesn't make up for everything." I get a little annoyed that he's trying to find pity from me.

He laughs at the sky. "Then what does, mhmm?" His frustration begins to come out. "I've done everything I can. I've been your friend, I've been patient, I've been nice, I've been quiet, I've been whatever the hell you wanted me to be just so I can get you back, and every time I'm close to doing so, you push me away," he raises his voice, but not by too much since my parents are still here. Plus, Rider never yells louder than one or two octaves, especially in arguments.