s i x t e e n

THE DAYS BLENDED TOGETHER AFTER THAT dreadful day on the hill and it was clear on her face. For though the Grisha that roamed the halls would never know exactly what Amadora was going through, what she had to do to protect herself, they could all see the despair wearing away at her glowing exterior. Her eyes had sunken in, making the doe eye appearance she had more prominent than ever, her aura had dimmed if it were even possible. Even the youngest of her students could see through the fake smile she put on for them every day. So they concocted a plan, a plan to lift her spirits. They enlisted the help of every high-ranking Grisha they could find, Fedyor, Ivan, Edita, and a few more, determined to bring the bright happy woman they knew back.

In her mind, Amadora did what she had to do, locking away the part of her that still yearned for Aleksander's touch. She wouldn't let herself mourn her relationship, knowing that the hurt that would come with it was far more than she could bear. All the burning within her was quickly extinguished by her cold powers, something she'd grown particularly fond of. She had become so tangled in her prison of a mind, Amadora failed to notice that snow and ice would follow her wherever she went, leaving a trail behind her, much to her student's appreciation.

They had tasked two of the youngest to distract her, keep her occupied long enough for them to finish their plans. The twins followed the trail down a hallway, spotting the white kefta in front of them, "Ms. Zima!" Katya, the young Inferni called out to her, smacking her brother on the chest as they ran after her.

Amadora turned around slowly, forcing a smile out of her, admittedly, favourite students, "Katya, Makar, what can I do for you two?"

The honey blonde twins glanced at each other nervously. Unfortunately, they hadn't planned out what they were going to distract her with, "We wanted to talk about..." Makar started, desperately searching for his sister to finish his sentence.

"About your powers!" Katya said quickly, thinking on the fly was always more of her strong suit.

Amadora narrowed her eyes, confused as to why they had a sudden interest in her abilities, "Remember what I said about terminology?"

Katya nodded, kicking herself for referring to them as powers, "They are not considered powers but rather abilities," She recited from memory, "We were just curious as to how you learned to control them."

She laughed softly, gesturing for them to follow her in her roam around the corridors, "Control is not an innate ability, it's something that is learned and maintained over time, have either of you ever had something you wanted to become really good at?"

Makar's eyes widened with glee, "I tried to learn how to a backflip!"

"Were you able to do it on your first try?" Amadora asked, knowing the answer as Makar's face fell slightly with a shake of the head, "Exactly, but with a lot of practice I suspect you were able to do it?"

"He still can't do it," Katya laughed, clutching her chest as Makar shoved at her softly.

"I'm still trying..." He mumbled, crossing his arms.

Amadora smiled, this time a little less fake, "This is what I mean, controlling your abilities is not something you're going to be able to do right away, without practice and hard work you'll never be able to do it, just like your flip."

Katya sighed woefully, "Can you control your pow-- abilities?" She quickly corrected.

With a shrug of the shoulders, Amadora said, "Some days are better than others, and some are worse, even after 6 years of knowing about my abilities I still don't have full control over them."