𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 3.

They jumped back down, hearing the car pull up above them as they slowly started walking forwards, staying in the shadows and away from the lights of the patrol.

They could clearly hear them walking around and talking but thankfully no one has noticed them yet.

They got in the open but there was more of them around. They found themselves in an abandoned wrecked building.

"We gotta take them down." Makayla whispered and both Joel and Tess nodded.

She slowly sneaked up on one of them behind, grabbing his body and stabbing his throat with the knife. Joel and Tess did the same with other two.

"Okay, move, move!" Tess shouted and they started sprinting to the other side.

"Goddammit! They're everywhere." Joel cursed as they saw the lights in front of them.

Makayla stood up and started firing at them with her gun.

Joel cursed under his breath and him and Tess had no other choice but to start shooting too.

They took down most of them.

"More of them coming!" Tess notified but Makayla pulled her to the side. She had found another tunnel.

"That'll do." Joel said and started leading the way.

"Gather up! They're calling us back! We're returning to the wall!"

One of the soldiers called from above.

"Thank fuck." Makayla sighed as they waited for them to leave. Their legs were completely soaked up to their knees.

"Come on." Joel called once everything became quiet. There was a metal opening at the of the tunnel so he pushed it open.

All clear.

With a sigh Makayla sat down on a rock knowing what's coming.

"Look- what was the plan? Let's say you get to the Fireflies. What then?" Tess sat down next to her. She seemed eager to know.

"They have their own little quarantine zone with doctors there still trying to find a cure." Makayla replied, her wet strands of hair sticking to her face.

"Yeah we've heard that before,huh Tess?" Joel nagged with his forehead creased.

Makayla glared at him, "I'm the key to finding a vaccine."

"Oh Jesus

"Oh Jesus." Joel huffed rolling his eyes.

"Fuck you man! I'm getting there with or without you. It's not like I asked for this shit!" Makayla groaned and stood up.

"Me neither!" Joel groaned back and stopped closer as they were standing face to face. And when he realized she wasn't gonna back away with another groan he turned to look at Tess.

"Tess, what the hell are we doing here."

She stood up to look him in the eyes, "What if it's true?"

Joel angrily sighed, turning around.

"What if, Joel. We've come this far, let's just finish it."

Joel grabbed her shoulder pulling her further away from Makayla.

"Do I need to remind you what's out there?"

"We can do this. The girl's more than capable. Marlene said she was living alone ever since she was thirteen. She was taking care of herself and managed."

"And then she got bit."

"But she didn't turn." Tess demanded, giving Joel one last glance before continuing to go. Makayla stood up and followed her as Joel very unwillingly did the same.

"Let's just find some place to stay the night." Tess mumbled and they followed her.

They got into the first building they saw. There was no sign of infected as they got to the highest floor to find some place to stay. Most rooms were locked except one. It had a double bed and a couch. Nothing too fancy but better than nothing.

Makayla wasn't too happy though. She'd rather just go to be there sooner.

"Alright, let's just let the rain go away." Tess lay down on the bed and closed her eyes.

Joel huffed, putting his backpack down on the ground before he laid down next to her.

Makayla also put her backpack down, scanning the two of them as she sat down on the couch. Looking at them made her think what kind of relationship they had. Sure they were working and surviving together. Maybe they weren't in a relationship but they were definitely close.

Joel was turned to Tess with his back when Tess's hand sneaked around his waist, holding onto him.

Well seems like more than just close.

She sighed, already being bored out of her mind as she snuggled into the corner of the couch, trying to fall asleep.

...

"Hey it's time." Joel pushed her shoulder and her eyes shot open. She must have fell asleep.

They took their things and went. It was still dark so they definitely didn't spend more than two hours up there. As they were about to make their way to another building they heard a loud screeching.

"Tess you heard that?" Joel called.

"Yeah, we gotta be careful." She replied as they were standing in front of another building that didn't look very safe. It was completely wrecked and the whole building was tilted to the side.

The first thing they saw as they entered was a dead body. Blood was all around.

"He's been ripped apart." Tess said and Makayla stepped closer, "It looks fresh."

"Yeah let's not stick around."

They started making their way up the stairs, trying to find an exit to get to the Capital building.

"Shit." Tess hissed. Another dead body.

There was a note next to the body as Joel picked it up. It was partly covered in blood, "Looks like these guys died waitin' for back up."

"Fuck. A clicker." They heard Makayla say as they turned to her. She was standing in the hallway looking at the body of a clicker stuck to a door.

Joel sighed. It was an unpleasant sight. He walked past Makayla and grabbed onto it's body, ripping it off of the door so they could get through.

The room was practically out in the open, no walls. The ground under their legs trembled as they tried to keep themselves steady.

"Whole building looks like it's about to fall apart." Joel reported and placed himself against some another door. They were stuck so he had to push the door open with force. Just as they opened the door a clicker barged at Joel, he wasn't expecting it so the clicker tugged him to the ground as Joel pushed against the clicker so he wouldn't have a chance to bite him.

Makayla's instincts kicked in as she kicked the clicker off of him, pushing against it with her leg and putting a bullet in it's head.

"Thanks." Joel muttered coldly and stood up.

"Let's search for supplies." Tess ordered and they did as she said. Going through the rooms to grab as much stuff as possible.