Chapter 5

Adora

I wake to the curtains in my chambers being drawn open with a loud screech. Refusing to open my eyes, I turn my head to face the other way. I am usually up before the sun but, considering the events of last night, I doubt that I will be very useful today.

When I finally gain the energy to open my eyes, I find Penelope at the end of my bed holding onto a piece of long, silky fabric. However, unlike my usual pink and white that signify my mother and who I am to become, it is red and white. Pushing myself up into a seated position, I stretch out my back as Penelope begins to talk.

"Good morning, my grace. You have approximately an hour before breakfast, and then you have a meeting for two hours after breakfast. Then you are free until after lunch when you have training." She stops to set the dress up next to my privacy screen. "The greenhouse and lab are all set up for you as well." As she starts to leave, I call out to her.

"Penelope. Why is my dress red? And, why do I have so few meetings?" I ask, thoroughly confused. To my surprise, Penelope lets out a sweet giggle before replying.

"Well your suitor, of course. He offered to take over half of the jobs that you do so that you would be less stressed at the end of the day." Brone. "And, since he is courting you, it is only appropriate that you wear red."

Composing myself after that horrid piece of news, I stand and dismiss Penelope. Why would he do that? I never asked him to do that. Dismissing Penelope, I drag myself from the bed, my body heavy as I will my feet across the floor to the privacy divider.

Lifting the silk over my head and letting it slide down my body, goosebumps appear on my skin as the cool, late autumn air wafts in through the open balcony doors. The silky fabric feels soft against my skin and I stand in front of the mirror. Releasing my hair from the rollers, I let the loose ringlets flow down my back.

The hair rollers were a gift from Mora, something she said was 'revolutionary'. Time works differently in the underworld. And hair rollers are revolutionary.

Brushing down a curl that had become slightly out of place, I inspect the outfit in the mirror. The draping fabric had a much lower neckline than I was used to, but it was still high enough that it would not disgrace my reputation to wear it. The red tunic that I wore simply peaked out from underneath the white silk, covering my cleavage.

Pleats and folds have been created along the fabric so as to distract attention away from a womanly figure, something that I detested to have. My curves were larger than most goddesses, and even most humans than most. Mother had taught me from a young age how to hide these womanly curves. They were not cute, she would say.

Walking down the hallway unaccompanied was strange for a woman of my standing, I was often followed by lady's maids or escorted by suitors. Nobody dared say anything about it, however, for I am their superior now. I walk into the room, still apprehensive about the new layout of the room.

Approaching my seat, I turn my head to find Brone sitting in the seat beside me. The idea of turning away briefly ran through my mind. But, that would be very un-cute of me. So, I lay myself out on the lounge, ignoring Brone's eyes until I am situated.

Mora has yet to emerge from her chambers, but that is nothing new. She was often late to things. Turning my attention towards the infuriating man that is sitting next to me, I offer him a smile.

"Would you care to explain the new... arrangement that you made last night," I manage to keep my cool, his words from last night still ringing in my head.

He takes a moment to answer, taking a break to pluck a grape from the pile in front of us. He takes his time chewing, seemingly thinking over his answer.