Chapter 11 Haru

You groaned as you regained consciousness, your body feeling heavy. You slowly opened your eyes. When they were well-adjusted you noticed a wooden ceiling, with small rays of sunlight creeping in. You sat up at a snail's pace as it took allot out of you, and you looked around the room. It was kinda dark and there were haystacks everywhere. "Where the heck am I?" you said thinking out loud. It looked like a barn. Suddenly a wave of pain ran over your face. It hurt like hell; you just couldn't shake off that feeling of burning. You brought your hand to your face and carefully touched it.

Everything came back to you. You remembered Wo-Tin's evil grin as he grabbed your face with his flaming hands. That feeling of despair as you couldn't move, seeing Katara's heartbroken face in front of you as you flew out of that forest on Appa. You felt a chill run down your spine and arms. You knew who the enemy was now. Wo-Tin, the man who tried to arrest you three years ago. The man who sent all those fire nation soldiers and hunters to Yon Dao to find you. You closed your eyes trying to recollect every inch of his face. You saw his burned skin and dark eyes in front of you again. You opened your eyes again being horrified. You couldn't just sit here dwelling on what happened. You had to find out where you were and where your friends were, where Katara was.

You stepped out of bed, noticing you had been sleeping on a haystack with a pillow and a thin sheet. You noticed the shirt you had been wearing that day beside the bed, but it had burn holes all over it. "Guess I can't wear that anymore." You thought. You looked beside your makeshift bed and noticed a fresh t-shirt was places next to it. You put it on and noticed it had the earth kingdom's Sigel on it. "I guess were somewhere in the earth kingdom then." You thought. You looked around the barn and noticed your friends had been sleeping here as well, looking at their sleeping bags and luggage. This put you more at ease knowing that wherever you were your friends weren't far.

Suddenly you heard a slow growl coming from the other side of the barn. The sudden noise spooked you but you instantly recognized it. You walked over to the other side and pushed aside a few tall haystacks placed into the corner. After pushing one block away you saw Appa's big head and his tongue quickly licked your hand and face. "Hey buddy. Are you alright?" you asked and Appa growled happily as you petted him on the head. "You really saved my life back there Appa. I owe you a big pile of apples later." You said while patting him. Appa closed his eyes clearly enjoying it.

"Listen buddy I'm gonna look for Aang and the rest, okay? I bet they hid you here for a good reason. So, you must stay here." You said and Appa looked down knowing he wouldn't join you going out. You petted the bison on his head once more to cheer him up, put the piles of hay back in front of him and walked over to the door of the barn. "Well, here goes nothing." You said to yourself and you opened the barn door.

When you opened it, you were blinded by sunlight and amazed by the sound of birds chirping in the woods nearby. "Damn. How long was I out?" you asked yourself. You stepped outside and when your eyes adjusted to the sunlight you noticed you were in a garden of a small house.

The sun was going down so you knew you were out for more than a day. The garden had nicely cut grass and a water pump in the middle. You walked over to the pump and saw a few buckets standing next to it. You were dying of thirst for sleeping so long so you went over to the pump and filled one of the buckets. You took the bucket and drank from it. The water felt refreshing and cooled your entire body. When you stopped drinking you saw your reflection in the water you had pumped. The right side of your face was slightly red but most of the burn marks were gone. Your hair had a few bald spots on the right side and your eyebrow missed several bits as well. "Damn Katara, you're a miracle worker." You said to yourself and stepped away from the buckets. You looked at the small house of which the garden belonged to. "I guess I'll go have a look who lives here." You thought and you went over to the front door of the house. When you stood in front of the door you knocked twice. "Hello? Can I come in? I slept in your barn and... Well, I'm kinda lost." You said and opened the door. What you saw inside couldn't have made you happier.