Chapter XXIX

Little by little, his consciousness came back to him, but he didn't open his eyes immediately. Instead, he took his time examining his surroundings to determine his whereabouts. The feel of the bed sheet's somewhat rough texture to a certain extent, the tough pillows, the coarse patterns on the edges of the headboard that he still oddly found appealing in one way or another for he could feel the innocence and childishness coming from the hands that carved it, and the thin laces decorating the corners of the bed and the bedding.

All these, he had already familiarized himself with during the few days that passed. After a few more times feeling around, he became completely certain that he was still in his room in Ouyang Clan.

The given room, despite the fair size compared to his bedroom back in Yunmeng, had two windows that would properly receive the sun's light, simultaneously making sure that not a single corner was swallowed by even an inch of darkness. So he thought that it was strange that he could only perceive a faint glow flickering every now and then from the corner of his eyes. Also, from the windows that were assumingly left open, a cold breeze carried along with it the noisy calling of the many crickets that had long replaced the singing of birds.

Despite the fact that Ouyang Clan's terrace was situated on a mountain, their morning air was warm. And by the feel the cool breeze, the sun had most likely set not too long ago.

The only object lighting up the dark room was the candle situated on the table to his right just like he had expected. The dark-colored curtains were rolled down, its ends inches away from meeting with the floor, so the light from the rising moon barely entered. He saw the glittering clusters of heavenly bodies scattered across the pitch dark night, surrounding one particularly bright crescent, as the curtain swayed to the direction of the wind, displaying a sneak peek of the beauty outside.

The sound of the passing disciples' voices and trained hushed footsteps deliberately grew faint. He left the hour to pass in that fashion: doing nothing but staring at the ceiling, almost as motionless as a corpse if it weren't for the heaving of his chest and his time to time blinking.

After some time, he eventually decided to get up for a walk and maybe fill his stomach at least along the way. He already got himself used to go through half a day without a single drop of food after taking his suppressants. The first time this happened, his Senior Sister had gotten so worried at the state he was in that she couldn't get herself to stop pacing back and forth the halls, exhausting most of her seconds on edge even when the doctor she called over without delay arrived.

The poor doctor had gotten over so hastily, after hearing their desperate cry for help just from the discomposed tone of the servant they sent to invite him, that the clothes of the doctor were wrinkled and not properly put together. That doctor was well known by everyone around to be neat and orderly, the kind of person who hated messy and disorderly things. Yet he had arrived in that sorry state. It only took a look for the old man to assess the omega's state. When he realized the situation, he sighed.

He turned around, ready to lay out his anger for them to see. He wasn't at all afraid of getting on their nerves as he too was from a high standing. But after seeing the hopeful expression on the young mistress' tense face, he held himself back from going off for how they interrupted the little fun time he had for his wife.

He instead pulled an 'amused' layered with a 'does not know whether he should laugh or cry' look before comforting the omega's family with a chuckling, "It's a normal side-effect" and ended it with "there's no need to worry".

Wei WuXian suddenly felt the urge to go see his senior sister and get pampered remembering these.

After some time reminiscing and walking aimlessly, he found himself back on the spot Ouyang ZiZhen brought them to this morning. Now that night has fallen, the already-picturesque piece of land became even more enchanting. He looked back to the vast expanse of a flower field, not a single petal out of place nor withered, that seemed to stretch far beyond what the eyes can grasp. The lighting laid out an illusion that its sundry petals were sparkling as they rested directly under the glowing orb of night, planting a delicate peck even on its stems.