Chapter XVII

Wei WuXian remembered meeting an omega besides his mother, thereafter. But unlike his mother, she had a black collar around her neck. He remembered commenting about how they looked no different from dogs with that kind of accessory. She was also kicked out a very large house in the middle of the day as she desperately cried for whoever was behind the door to open it right in front of them who stood still from the shocking scene. She was in such a pitiful state yet no one had the heart to help her.

Oddly enough, as the similar ornament was placed around his neck, this memory flashed into his mind unconsciously. He stared at his reflection on the mirror then at the servant who was tidying him up. His hands lingered on the black collar and fidgeted on the metallic flower.

"Young Master, the quality of your hair and skin is to die for! Oh—uhm, please pardon this collar. The one that the young master asked to be specifically made isn't finished yet. I hope Young Master will understand."

"It doesn't really matter," he tried to smile. "It's all the same anyways."

In the neat room filled with a warm aroma sat three similarly clothed people. They had the same white inner robes which had the same red hems and sun motifs embroidered on them. Although, the clothes of other two were slightly simpler than the other's, they were not tattered and didn't show any signs of it going bad either, but the quality was much lesser. Its designs weren't as glamorous as the ones their clan's two young masters wore; it wasn't even close to the ones their inner disciples would wear. Even so, they looked much proper and elegant, more befitting heirs than the reckless duo they have.

Their long hairs were tied neatly to their backs, not a single strand seen sticking out. They were bound with a pure white-colored ribbon that blends well with their crimson red robes, very pleasing to the eyes. On their youthful faces were unbothered and calm expressions.

The young woman took a sip of the tea the servants served them. She glanced at the brawny man standing next to her sitting brother and averted her attention to the soft sound of the water droplets plopping one by one on the clear water, its sounds popping around the room, "You didn't have to come with us. You know that nothing good will come out in visiting your—."

Before she could finish her sentence, the man cut her off immediately. "Young Miss, it was by the orders of the young master. I'm begging you to please not talk any more of this."

Seeing that the man went as far as to begging just to keep her mouth shut, she sighed in defeat and grabbed the porcelain teacup. Treating it as if it were alcohol, she gulped it all in one go and gently slammed it back down on the table, carefully wiping away the leftover of the liquid above her lips. She took a glimpse of her unusually rigid younger brother because of the new surroundings and clasped his hands with hers in reassurance.

"A-Ning . . ." she smiled. Wen Ning smiled back at her, comforted by his older sister's expression.

Out of nowhere, Wen Chao who was so full of himself and treated other members of the family no better than an invisible being came knocking on their door with a cart filled with treasures and countless gold and silver. He was acting so kind and helpful, so unlike his usual haughty attitude, like what most people of the Wen Clan would consider 'normal'. Only when he started acting human did they want his cruel side back because this was much more horrifying.

To their relief, Wei WuXian finally arrived, accompanied by Yu ZiYuan and Jiang FengMian on each side. Jiang YanLi and Jiang WanYin wanted to go and join them so bad but were blocked by Yu ZiYuan's two servants. Being unable to contain their curiosity, they indeed didn't come in but they stayed and eavesdropped outside instead, silently praying that their discreet actions wouldn't be found out. One would giggle from time to time as the other had to put their whole palm over the former's mouth to shut them up.