Chapter VIII

Today was the last day of Wei WuXian's punishment. Luckily, Lan WangJi really did keep his word not to tell a soul about what happened the previous night. Everything felt like one of his many dreams. He remembered embarrassing himself but he never felt that ashamed because Lan WangJi didn't make him. In fact, he actually felt happy that it was because of him that a smile appeared on the older one's face.

His memories came to a stop to when he was sitting beside him with a lovely tune floating in the air. He also remembered the musky scent of sandalwood which was probably the biggest cause of him not being able to remember the events subsequent to that. Everything was nothing but darkness. He remembered feeling drowsy, but that's it.

Pondering, his hands that were just tying his sash froze, "Last night . . . did I fall asleep? But I woke up in my bed; did some other disciples find out? He didn't look too strong to be able to carry someone . . . he looked pretty fragile and cute, hehehe. Wait—but there's no commotion, does that mean that he . . ."

He didn't think any further and unknowingly let out a loud gasp as he buried his flaming face on his palms. He started stomping on his foot, going around in circles on the exact same spot. Jiang WanYin and Nie HuaiSang who were just minding their own business flinched at Wei WuXian's sudden outburst. They stared at his jumpy figure with weird looks.

Nie HuaiSang opened his fan and covered half of his face with it, leaving his amused eyes the only one visible. "Hey, Wei-xiong, are you alright?"

Wei WuXian flinched before reluctantly stopping, sensing his own weird behavior. He stood up straight, patted away the creases on his robes, and began to tie the unfinished sash once more. He didn't answer them but just looked at their worried figures from the mirror, his face still buried on one hand, the other clumsily fixing his robes. His behavior made them both wonder if he finally lost his mind after not being able to go out for a day.

Jiang WanYin started to feel impatient, stomping his foot loudly and crossing his arms in front of his chest to make his frustrations clear. He was leaning on the post of the door, keeping his eyes somewhere else so he could at least calm himself down. Seeing that the slowpoke wasn't going to respond, his head throbbed in anger and he burst out, "Hey, how much longer are you going to take? Since when does your morning routines take this long? Hurry your butt up here, we're getting hungry."

Nie HuaiSang gave him a don't-drag-me-into-this look and glanced at the older boy through the mirror and gave him an I-don't-really-mind-you-can-continue smile. Wei WuXian giggled back at him and continued tying his hair into his usual high ponytail. It took so much more time than usual because he was trying his best to make it look better-kept. He held the bundle in one hand and took the white ribbon settled in between his lips, finally binding them together in a finish. He'd stare at the standing strands of hair and dip his hand on water to try and slick it back.

Wei WuXian gave his reflection a satisfied huff, his hands on his hips. He glanced back before prancing towards the two younger ones. "Can't your brother make himself handsome from time to time?"

"You're already—cough, er —who would you even make yourself handsome for? There are no female betas or any other omegas here. Gasp! Does that mean you're into alphas now?!" Jiang WanYin continued to cough nervously and snatched the fan from Nie HuaiSang's hands, fanning the cold sweat that was starting to coat his upper body up. His eyes wandered elsewhere, stubbornly preventing himself from looking at anyone in the moment.

"Hm, their gender doesn't really matter. If he was different from what he is now, I think . . ." Wei WuXian chuckled and pranced towards them. He grabbed Nie HuaiSang's arms and bounced out the door. The two younger boys had a lot they wanted to question him, especially the reason as to why he seemed to be extra hyper today despite the fact that he was indoors for a whole day. They expected a bummed out Wei WuXian, not this.