Chapter XIV

"This scent . . ."

Everyone's eyes were agape in realization of the scene unfolding in front of them. They weren't able to resist the urge to talk amongst themselves. Their poor excuse of a whisper still managed to reach the two brother's ears, but they paid them no mind. Some would occasionally lift their heads up, hoping to catch a glimpse of the beauty sleeping peacefully in the young master's arms.

Lan XiChen never thought that this would ever happen. He tried to sooth his voice into a considerable degree to prevent provoking his agitated-looking younger brother. He raised his hands up, in gesture to quiet the others down and smiled at his brother. "Here you are, Lan WangJi. Young Master Wei doesn't look too well. We can bring him to them clinic ourselves. You should go to your room and rest. You must be exhausted."

Lan WangJi respectfully bowed down to him and turned to walk away from them. "No, I can carry him myself. I'll take care of him. I am not a child anymore, I'm completely fine."

Raising his hand up in caution, Lan XiChen chuckled, "Okay, okay—I won't."

The scent in the air made their minds a little bit muddleheaded, but not to the point that they would lose and succumb to their instincts. When they first joined the sect, one of the very important trainings and lessons they had were how they could hold themselves back from facing situations like an ignorant animal. They were also repeatedly reminded of the its consequences, so incidents and scandals involving their alphas losing their minds from aphrodisiacs and pheromones weren't common at all.

A young disciple, jealous of Lan WangJi who was holding him so dearly, stared hungrily at the pair. His body started heating up to the point of frustration as his mouth watered excessively. He hadn't been there for too long, so his training hasn't been complete. He was a young alpha that had just come of age a year ago. Being exposed to raw pheromones for the first time, he wasn't able to keep his composure any further.

Worriedly, his peer glanced at him and held his already-scalding shoulder to ask if he was okay. He already noticed his friend's odd behavior that started when they approached them and had already thought of what was bothering him. Thinking that it wasn't safe for his junior brother to stay here any longer, he advised him to make a stop in the clinic and rest for the night. But he was only jerked away. Realizing that he had failed with his advances, he notified Lan XiChen of another inevitable problem.

"There is so much pheromone mixed in the air all at once; I'm starting to feel a little dizzy."

"Huh, what is he doing?"

"Has he lost his mind?"

"Junior disciple, come back here!"

The junior disciple had already long slipped pass the crowd, trodding towards the two with an unclear head. He perceived their worried calls to be nothing but muffled noises. Just like he had expected, the scent became clearer and even sweeter the closer he became, and this just made him walk with even more determination and enthusiasm, not wanting to waste anymore time. He heaved in pleasure when he arrived.

Lan WangJi took a step back to avoid the hands that were reaching out, only mere inches away from touching the boy in his arms. The disciple didn't give any thought to his own rude behavior towards his young master and just shuddered without any ounce of embarrassment.

"What are you doing?"

He didn't answer and continued to eye Wei WuXian from his tall and lean nose down to the exposed area of his neck, devouring him with his lustful gaze. All the air in his lungs felt like they were entirely sucked away. His whole body was burning with the desire to claim the boy for himself. He was utterly breathless as he spoke, his hands itching to get a hold of the boy, "The Young Master shouldn't trouble himself with such tasks. You can hand him over to me and I can bring him safely there myself."