"I knew you'd call back" (Avengers 2012)

Previously...

John eventually sighed as he took out his phone and dialed a number.

The phone rang twice...

"Hello?" Natasha's slightly tired voice came through the phone along with a commotion in the background, most probably from still looking for the Tesseract.

John gave Natasha no time to say anything else, "I'm in."

"You are?"

"Yes," John could already sense the smile on Natasha's face, "When do we start?"

...

The next morning at the Smith house was a very hectic one to say the least, but not for Nikki and Nellie, but for John...

The girls were both currently standing at the bottom of the stairs in their pajamas with their hair in every which direction as they both yawned.

"And do you remember what to do in case anything happens?" John asked his girls as he checked his wrist watch.

"Yes dad."

"Yes daddy."

The girls both responded, both very eager to get back to sleep.

"And do you remember what time you should both be in bed?" John asked once more.

"Yes dad."

"Yes daddy."

The girls both responded.

"And you remember where our emergency funds are in case you need anything?" the worried father asks again.

"Yes dad."

"Yes daddy."

The girls both responded.

"And remember, don't give grandpa any trouble while I'm away, okay?" John asked again.

"Yes dad."

"Yes daddy."

The girls both responded once more, this time both with eye rolls.

"Hey, don't roll your eyes at me!" John quickly scolded, eliciting a giggle from his girls, he looked down at his wrist watch once more "God, where is he?"

Nikki simply shook her head at her worry wart of a father, "Dad, we're gonna be fine."

John sighed, if someone from his past could see his sorry state right now...they'd think that he was somehow kidnapped and brainwashed.

"I know," John placed a hand on his forehead, "I know..."

Nikki and Nellie both gave John a hug before they heard the doorbell ring. They all looked towards the door, "Looks like grandpa is here."

As Ghost went and opened the door, Nikki and Nellie both suddenly became energized and excited.

"Grandpa's home!" a thick Texan accent is heard and John chuckles as and the elderly man in a Hawaiian shirt give each other a tight hug.

"Granpa Lenny!"

"Grandpa Lenny!"

The girls both run towards the elderly former assassin whom chuckles as he is tackled, and nearly falls, if not for John supporting him with a firm hand.

"Oof!" Lenny chuckles, "Well color me like a rainbow, look at you little munchkins! Not so little anymore are ya?!"

Nellie and Nikki both giggle at their grandpa as he gathers up his suitcases with the help of John and his daughters.