The Plate

Val Pov

August ,The kids,And I Went to his mothers House for A cookout.It Was Great But We Had A Disagreement and It Was Over The Most Silliest Thing."Alright Foods Ready." Miss Sheila Said as we were all in the livingroom and the kids in the back room.As The Ladies Got Up They Asked Their Mates What They Wanted To Eat.Me On The Other Hand I Just got up and almost walked off until august grabbed my wrist and pulled me back."You not gon ask me what I Want,I Guess you just know what I Want Huh."August Said."No I Wasn't gonna ask you Cause I Never Planned On Making You A Plate."I Said As The Men grew Silent And Listen To What I Said.He Stroked His Chin Hair And Said "Why Is That?" I Then Said"Because You're Not A Child Nor A Handicapped Man Thats Why." He Nodded His Head Slowly And Said"You Know What,You're Right ok,Well Understood."He Then Let Go Of My Wrist And I Walked Off As The men Looked At Him Like Da** boy you gon let her do that. I Didn't Care at All Though.I Know That most women fix Their Husbands Food And I've Seen My Mother And All The Females In My Family Do That,But I Just Don't Think Its Ok.Sorry If You Disagree.Its Just I'm Not Gonna Be A Maid For Any Grown A** Man Thats Capable Of Doing Things On His Own.So As The Ladies Handed The Men There Plates And Sat down With Their Plates.I Sat Right Next To August With My Plate.I Didn't Give Him No Eye Contact,I Just Stared Down At My food And Ate.I Could Feel August Staring Deep into my Soul.He Then Slowly turned his Head Towards The Tv.Ashlen,Ansley,Aiden Came Out The Room asking for food.So August Got Up And Fixed their plates.He Then Came Back With his Plate And Sat Back Down."See Was That Hard,Wasn't Hard At All,You Was Capable Of Fixing The Kids Plates And Yours." I Said.He Side eyed me and he looked so angry.He Then Looked Back at his food.We Didn't Talk To Each Other The Whole Time.But Once We Left It Was On.As We Were In The Car August Said"Ion Know What Yal Do on your side of the family,But On Our Side The Woman Fixes The Food For The Man."I Then Said"Oh The People On My Side Do It,I Just Don't."He Then Said"Well You Need To Fix It." I Then Chuckled And Said"No Thank You." He Then Gave Me This Unreadable Look.Well It Seems As If The Kids Knew What This Unreadable Look Meant,Cause I Heard Ashlen from the backseat Say"Oh Gosh" August Then Semi-yelled"No Thank You My A**,If You Don't Fix it,I'll Fix It,You Had The audacity To Make Me Look Bad In Front Of My Family.Oh No,I Want You To Show Out Again, I Just Want You To." I Then Said"Wooow Were Arguing Over A Dam* Plate" He Then Yelled"You Dam* Right,We Arguing Over A Plate." I Then Said"Well You Know What No Matter How Many Times You Yell At me about a plate,I'm Still not Gonna Fix it For ya." I Said As I Rolled.Under his Breathe he Said"Ashley Why Can't She Just Be Like You." Thats When I Got Angry and When I'm Angry I Don't Care About Who Feelings I Hurt."I'll Never Be Like ashley,It Seems Like She Had No Backbone and was weak,She Did Whatever You Told Her To Do And She never said no to you,I'm Not Like That,I'll never Will Be Like Ashley,I Will Remain Valerie Mercado,I'm Not Changing For Anyone alright.So Don't You Ever Try To Compare Me To Her."I Yelled.August Then Clenched His Jaws As Ashlen Yelled"Don't Talk About My Mommy!" August Then Said"Ashlen Hush I Got This,Valerie One Thing You're Not Gonna Do Is Disrespect Ashley,Now That She Isn't Here To Defend Herself.Plus She Was a Very Strong Woman Who Had A Backbone And Spoke When She Felt Something Wasn't right,She The Most strongest Woman I Know Other Than My Mom,She Been Through A Whole Lot Of Stuff and She Still Managed To Fix My plate,mentally and physically" I Didn't say nothing because I Totally offended ashley and she didn't do nothing to me.I Know I Lost Ashlen's and the kids Respect And August Is Probably Highly Upset with me for talking about the lady he loved so much.I Felt Really Bad,August Looked upset,like he was about to cry. Once We Made It Home Everyone Ignored me.So I Called My Cure.
📞Phone call📞
*conversation is actually spoken in spanish*
Mommy-Hello?

me-Hey Mama

Mommy-What going on baby.

Me- I Messed Up Mama

Mommy-What Did You Do valerie

Me-I Made August And Ashlen mad.

Mommy-How

Me-August Is Upset With Me Cause I Didn't Fix Him A plate At The Cookout And I Made Things Worst by offending his wife who died

Mommy-Oh Jesus,Valerie You Let Your Anger hurt others feelings again,I Know It must hurt his kids feelings.And You Know That Us As Woman Were Suppose To fix The Plates.

me-I Know And I'm Really Sorry But His Other Kids Was Sleep His Oldest Daughter was The Only One up.And I Just Don't Feel As If I Should Fix His plate.

Mommy-It Doesn't Matter Baby Thats What You're Suppose to do,you messed up his ego a little definitely since you did it in front of his family.

me-I'm Really sorry Though

Mommy-Don't Say Sorry To Me Say it to them
Me-Yes Ma'am Love You,Bye

Mommy-Love you too bye.

📞end of phone call📞

I Had To Fix What I Messed Up.Starting With ashlen.I Knocked on her door."Come in she said.I Walked In And She Said"Oh Its you." She Then Rolled Her Eyes."I'm Sorry Ashlen,I Didn't mean to offend your mother,I'm pretty sure she was a very nice and strong lady." I Said."Yea She Was." Ashlen Said."I'm Really sorry ashlen,I Was Just Angry at your dad,I Didn't Mean What I Said." She Then Said"Apology accepted you can leave now."I then awkwardly hugged her and left.Next August.I Went In His Room And He Was In Bed looking at old pictures."August I'm Really Sorry,When I'm Angry I Tend To hurt Others,I Know I have to fix It.I'm So Sorry,I Love You A Lot.I'm Sorry For Offending Ashley too.It Just upset Me Because In My Last Relationship I Alway Changed Myself to fit in his life I Wasnt Myself I was Acting Like His Ex So That He'll Love Me And It just angered me that you wanted me to be more like Ashley.If You Want I'll Fix You Plate All the time,I'll Do Whatever You Want.I'm Very Sorry,I Love You." He Then Said "Apology Accepted."We Then Hugged And He Kissed My Forehead."And I'm Sorry For Comparing you Ashley." He Said"Its Ok."