53: What must be done

It didn't take long for Vanni to talk

It didn't take long for Vanni to talk. Meera didnt interrupt Vanni as she ranted, she just sat there and listened.

By the end of it We had four key pieces of information:
1) The Singhania's joined forces with the Ottavia family to hunt down Meera.
2) Arlo was the one to provide information about Meera to the Singhania family. They could care less about the Farewell family but the main target is Meera.
3) Vanni was the scout that her father sent. Her goal was to follow Meera and report back but she got ambitious and tried to kidnap her.
4) Jay Ottavia wanted Meera. The Singhania's were willing to trade her for something but Vanni had no idea what.

We make the call the next morning. Five of us are in my father old study. Meera is sitting on the couch, her legs tucked underneath her as Eddie is tapping away on his laptop, glancing nervously between me and Meera as the clock ticks closer to nine. Anya is twisting the pages of her notepad, jotting down a general script for Meera.

At nine, we make the call.

The cellphone is a burner we bought at a corner store with wires connected to the laptop. We can trace them but they can't trace us. It's simple and functional, Meera just has to keep them talking long enough.The phone rings three times and it felt like infinity between in between each second. My heart had risen into my throat, chocking my words down before I could think of anything.

Meera's face was hard, hardly a trace of emotion. My hand slid into hers automatically, silently tee;ing her that I wad right here. Eventually there was a faint click and I could feel my stomach tightening as Meera picked up her notes, preparing herself.

"Hello."

I nodded at Meera, prompting her to continue.

"This is Dr Saravana," She said with a steady voice. "I want to talk to Jay Ottavia."

There was silence for a good thirty seconds before we heard the sounds of scuffling and faint voices, almost as if they were arguing. We both glanced at each other as we waited.

"Is...is this Meera?" Someone asked, the voice was breathless as if they had been running. "Meera Singhania?"

"It's Meera Saravana." she said, her eyes going hard. Meera's signals Eddie to trace the call. "May I know whom I'm speaking to?"

The person on the other end of the line laughed humorously. "You don't remember my voice, Meera? It's been almost ten years. I didn't think you would forget about me."

"I know exactly who you are. I just don't feel like playing games right now." She glanced down at her watch. "Is he there?"

The man on the other end of the line sighed. "He's not here, Meera."