Chapter 2

Karly stands off to the side as Abby finishes talking to a Latino drug dealer. 

"I got it. Two rocks. It's the good stuff." Abby walks over to Karly and they head down the street toward home. 

"Abby, how much did you pay those guys?"

"Sixty."

"Sixty?! We still have enough for the rent right?"

"Relax Karls, we are only twenty short. We'll make up the difference tomorrow."

"Well, what if he hears us coming in? He's gonna be pissed Abby."

Karly hears a car coming up behind them. She glances over her shoulder and sees a sleek black Jaguar slowing.

"Well would you look at that," Karly says smugly.

The Jaguar pulls up past them and stops. It backs up a bit and the window electronically rolls down. Karly is about to head for it when Abby stops her. 

"Forget it okay. I want to go home," Abby begs grabbing Karly's arm.

"Come on Abby, look at that car. We could make the rent and then some savings."

Abby isn't happy about the delay but she waits as Karly seductively approaches the car. Karly leans over the passenger window. In the driver's seat is a good-looking, well-groomed man in his mid-thirties and wearing an expensive suit and tie.

"Hey sugar, looking for a date," Karly asks biting her lip.

"How do I get to Wilshire Boulevard?" The man asked with a smooth British accent. 

"What?"

"I'm lost. How do I get to Wilshire?" He asked in an annoyed tone.

"What do I look like? A tour guide? You want a date or not?" Karly huffed.

"Actually, I just want directions."

"Directions! He just wants directions!" She yelled out to Abby.

"I told you, only creeps come out after midnight!" She yelled back.

Karly looked back at the mysterious man, giving him one last chance. She puts her hand on her hip, opening her jacket and making it clear she isn't wearing a bra under her thin t-shirt.

"Look honey, I'm not in the business of giving directions," Karly said bending down lower.

"I can see that but perhaps you might make an exception for me darling," He replied eyeing her outfit. 

Karly sighs, disappointed by what she hoped would be an expensive catch. 

"Okay, I'll tell you how to get to Wilshire for five bucks."

"What a bargain." He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a stack of money. Karly eyes it, very interested. He peels off a twenty and holds it out to her."

"All I have is a twenty..."

"I don't give change," Karly snatches the money off him.

"Listen, for a little more I could show you the way personally and maybe we could have a little fun together. What do you say?" Karly says.

"How do I get to Wilshire." He repeats uninterested.

"What are you, a homo or am I just playing too hard to get?" Karly whines.

Her persistence seems to cause the man to falter a bit.

"You're a lovely young lady, but I'm not in the habit of picking up girls off the street. Now..."

"Hey, I don't have AIDS or nothing," Karly interrupts him, "Here's my card from the free health clinic. Got tested last week. I'm probably safer than you are. I got to be, I'm a pro."

She shows him a health clinic card and the man looks at it then back at her. He admires her for a moment, considering.

"Ah! You're thinking about it. I can tell," She says enthusiastically. 

"You're a very persuasive woman," He continues hesitantly, "It happens that I am alone tonight..."

"Great. I'm the best. A hundred bucks."

"A hundred dollars. For the whole night?" The man asked surprised.

"Aw, I'm growing on you already. Two fifty for the whole night. Not including the twenty you've already given me."

"You're quite a negotiator. Alright. I can't believe I'm doing this, but climb in." The car doors click and unlock.

"Wait a second." Karly walks over to Abby.

"I'm going to go with him." Abby smiles at her.

"Really, how much."

"Two fifty," Karly says smugly.

"You could have got more," Abby scoffs.

"Maybe I will. He doesn't seem that bright."

"I'll save you some smoke when you get home. Take care of you," Abby pulls Karly into a hug.

"Take care of you." Karly pulls away and walks back over to the car.

Abby watches as it drives off and continues walking home.