Chapter 3

Karly sits comfortably in the warm leather seat. She finds the ashtray on the dash and lights a cigarette with the car lighter. She looks at the man curiously as he drives. He occasionally glances at Karly, still debating whether this was a good idea or not.

"Nice car. Your's?" Karly asks casually.

"It's rented." He says with a light smile.

"What's your name?" 

"Tom. What's your's?"

"What do you want it to be." He looks at her seriously.

"Fine, it's Karly. So where are we going to do it."

"Im staying in a hotel in Beverly Hills." Tom says as his hands tense on the wheel.

"I should have guessed you were out of town with that accent."

"Yep, London."

"I've never been to London. How is it?" She turns towards him. 

"It's alright. Are you going to tell me how to get to Wilshire?" 

"Make a left up there." She points up to the hill, "So Tom, why are you in LA?"

"Business." He states simply.

"What kind of business," She asks curiously.

"You certainly ask a lot of questions," He glances at her sideways.

"Just being friendly." Karly takes some of her cigarette.

The Jaguar glides though the streets of Beverly Hills. Tom gestures toward the back seat.

"Listen, my overcoat's in the back seat. Why don't you put it on?"

"What, why?"

"Let's just say you're a little under-dressed for this hotel," He chuckled.

"They don't like hookers?" Karly scrunched her face in confusion.

"It's not the kind of place that rents rooms by the hour."

"Every place had hookers. They just don't admit it." She turned her head towards him.

"Perhaps so. But if this hotel has any hookers, they don't look like they're..." He paused trying to find the right words.

"...off the boulevard." Karly finished for him. 

"Exactly." Tom nodded as they began to pull up. 

Thousands of tiny white lights sparkle along the walls of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Bright flags are illuminated by carefully placed spotlights. The Jaguar has stopped in a valet parking lane. One of the Valet opens the passenger door and Karly, bundled up in Tom's overcoat, steps out. Tom hands the keys to another valet. A Doorman opens the huge glass door for Karly and Tom as they walk inside. 

The lobby is bright and spacious, filled with thick carved wood paneling. Even at this hour there is a great deal of activity. Men in business suits and women in furs and jewels are passing by. Karly's face tries to conceal the awe that she feels at the sight of all this luxury. Tom is perfectly at home. He places a hand on Karly's lower back and guides her through the lobby gracefully. They reach the elevators and go inside.

The young night elevator operator is dressed in a clean red uniform that seems just a bit too tight. As the elevator doors close he nods toward Tom. 

"Floor, sir?" The young man asks.

"Penthouse." Tom replies sternly.

"Of course sir." Karly tries to hide her surprised facial expression but Tom notices.

Tom and Karly come out of the elevator into a hallway leading to a single doorway with two heavy wood doors. Tom pulls out his key and unlocks the door. With a gentle push, the doors open in unison. Tom gestures to Karly to go inside and he closes the doors behind them.