Chapter 8

Karly passes by the windows, looking at all the expensive things inside. Something about it all made her feel jittery inside. She comes to a posh women's boutique. She hesitates for a moment and then slowly enters. Karly is no sooner in the door than she is subject to the disapproving stare of a saleswoman standing behind the counter. 

"May I help you?" She says with a Beverly Hills sneer. 

"I'm just looking." Karly tiptoes through the shop as if it was filled with delicate glass objects. She cautiously examines a dress. The Saleswoman, unhappy with Karly's clothes, appearance, and voice, quickly comes around the counter and approaches her. 

"Are you looking for something in particular?" She says in a snippy tone. 

"I need some new clothes."

The Saleswoman eyes her and gives a sarcastic yes. 

"How much is that?" Karly points to a red dress.

"I don't think it would fit you."

"I didn't as if it would fit. I asked how much." Karly snapped.

"It's very expensive."

Karly's body tenses as she stares at the Saleswoman, violence in her eyes. "What's with you?"

"Pardon?" The Saleswoman asked in shock.

"What's with this fucking look on your face?" Karly yelled angrily.

"I think you should leave. You're obviously in the wrong place."

Karly is so angry and frustrated that she is speechless.

"Please leave." The Saleswoman repeats. 

Karly turns and stomps toward the door. She throws the door open and storms outside. The Saleswoman calmly strolls back to her counter and returns to her place. 

Karly comes out onto the street and stands, lost. A man passes, eyeing Karly as if she were a freak. Karly's face is red. Her eyes water up to cry. She takes a deep breath, trying to control herself. She looks up and down for another shop. On the street, women in elegant designer outfits stroll by. Karly suddenly feels naked. She decides to head back toward the hotel instead. 

************************************************

Karly enters the lobby, nervous and paranoid. She heads towards the elevators. She feels an emptiness in her stomach at the sight of all the luxury around her. Only this time she doesn't have Tom to guide her. Mr Martin, the prim, middle-aged hotel manager, spots her. He crosses the room and deftly cuts her off from the elevator. 

"May I help you, Miss?" Karly stops, practically shaking with terror. 

"I'm just going to my room." She tries to maneuver past him nut he won't budge.

"You're a guest here?"

"I'm... I'm with a friend," She stutters.

"And who is that?" He asks suspiciously. 

"Tom..." Karly's face is filled with terror as she realises she doesn't know his last name. Her hands start to tremble. The elevator doors open behind them and the elevator operator from last night walks out. 

"He knows me!" Karly blurts out.

Mr Martin turns and eyes the Operator curiously. The Operator looks back at them evenly. With a smooth gesture, Mr Martin was the Operator over. 

"Do you know this young lady?" Mr Martin asks.

The Operator looks at Karly distastefully. "I wouldn't say I know her, sir. I've seen her. She came down from the penthouse. I believe she was there with Mr Hiddleston."