Chapter 7

"Three thousand! Three thousand dollars!"

Karly is stretched out in a hot bubble bath. Her face lit up with joy as she starts to laugh. Gloating, she lies back and sinks down into the warm bubbly water and disappears. She pops back up, shakes out her hair and laughs again. 

"Three thousand!"

Tom comes into the bathroom and stands by the door, watching her laugh. He has just finished dressing and is doing his tie. 

"Happy, huh?" Karly smiles up at him.

"Listen, lover. When I'm not giving you the best sex of your life, I'm gonna be right here, in this tub. Have room service bring the cart in." She says laughing. "Three thousand. To sit in a tub for seven days."

"I'm overpaying you. Aren't I?"

"Hey, I'd have taken a thousand, but we both know you can't put up three. Can't you."

"I don't think it will break me," Tom says smoothly. 

"Then it's a good deal for us both. I'll keep you happy, lover."

"Good. Darling, I've got to meet with some people. I'll probably be gone most of the day." He says walking back into the bedroom to grab his jacket.

"I'll be right here," Karly says relaxing back into the tub. 

Tom reaches into his wallet and pulls out a credit card. He sets it down on the sink.

"I'm going to take a chance and trust you with this. Buy some nice clothes on Rodeo Drive. A few dresses, not too fancy, or too sexy. Soft pinks and pastels are nice. I just want you to look presentable in the hotel. Understand?"

"Yeah, I get it. You want me to dress like your high-class girlfriend," Karly says sarcastically.

"Well let's hope you don't spend that much," He says snickering.

"How much can I spend?"

"Be reasonable. You're a smart girl. I'll make you a deal. If you spend too much, I'll send it all back at the end of the week. If you're sensible, I'll let you keep it. Fair?" 

"Fair," She says as Tom walks over and kisses her on the cheek.

"Bye darling"

"Bye, lover. It's gonna be a fun week."

Tom smiles and exits. Karly relaxes back in the tub. 

************************************************

Karly is back in her street clothes, lounging about on an art deco couch, talking on the cordless phone. 

"You wouldn't believe it Abby. It's like Dynasty or something. It's amazing. He's leaving next Friday. I'll be back then." 

"If he's really a millionaire, what does he want you for?" Abby says over the phone. 

" Hey, I'm the best money can buy."

"Yeah, right. Be careful Karly, he could be some kind of pervert."

"No, I don't think so. He has some high-class chick in London and I think he's trying to piss her off. What do I care? He's paying me three thousand dollars."

"You could have got more," Abby scoffs. 

"Hey, it beats walking up and down the street for a week. When I get back we're taking a vacation. I need one."

"Just think we will get some great smoke."

"Is that all you think about Abby, look I gotta go shopping he gave me his card. I'll talk to you later. Take care of yourself."

"Bye Karls. Take care of you."

Karly presses a button to hang up and sets the phone down on the table. She leans back in the couch, happy and comfortable. She pulls the card from her pocket and admires it.

"Well, time to spend this baby," She mutters to herself. 

************************************************

Karly is dressed in her street clothes, without the black stockings, red coat and heavy make-up. She doesn't look quite so much like a hooker, but she's not altogether respectable either. She is waiting for the elevator when the doors open and she enters. 

The day elevator operator, a blonde-haired man in his late twenties, is standing by the controls as Karly come in. He notices her out of place attire with displeasure. 

"Hi," Karly greets him cheerfully.

"Lobby?" He replies with a cold look.

"Yeah."

The elevator starts down.

"I'm going to be staying here for a while. In the Penthouse." She says giddily. 

The operator eyes her distastefully. "Oh." 

"I really like this hotel. It's very nice." She smiles awkwardly at him. He doesn't return it. Her smile fades as the elevator reaches the lobby. 

Karly hesitantly steps out into the lobby and glances back at the operator, wondering why he is acting so cold. As she enters the main lobby, she gets strange looks from the hotel employees and customers. She begins to feel very uncomfortable as she finally makes it to the front door and hurries outside.

Karly comes out onto Wilshire Blvd and looks around. She is much less confident and excited than she was before. She realises she feels a little bit out of place in this world. She crosses the street and heads for the shops on Rodea Drive.