Chapter 12

Tom enters the lounge at seven-fifteen. He looks around, not seeing Karly. Suddenly his eyes go back to... the beautiful girl with the beautifully styled hair in an alluring black cocktail dress at the piano bar. Tom tries to hide his surprise as Karly rises, moves elegantly towards him. She smiles. 

"You're late."

Tom chuckles. "Such a beautiful woman deserves an apology so, I'm sorry." 

"You're forgiven." She waits expectantly. He holds out an arm and she takes it. 

************************************************

Karly moves down a marble staircase, through the elegant restaurant toward a far table. Her beauty and natural grace draw approving stares. She feels like a queen moving through a ballroom. 

At the table, Tom sits in conversation with two men. James Kross who is in his early 70's and a bulky self-made millionaire industrialist. Sitting next to him is his son and second in command, David Kross, a handsome man in his early thirties. All of them rise as Karly comes to the table. Tom holds out Karly's chair for her. Surprised, she nods her thanks. In front of her is an enormous place setting. She smiles down at the utensils, filled with confidence.

Waiters place a delicate salad down in front of each of them. Karly proudly reaches for her salad fork. But then she sees that Kross has picked up the fork closest to his plate and is digging into his salad with that. Karly looks to see what Tom will do. He doesn't seem interested in eating yet and neither does David Kross. Feeling a sudden panic, Karly puts her fork down.

"So young man, I understand you are trying to take over my company," Kross says sternly. The abruptness of the question takes Tom back for a moment. But then he almost smiles.

"Please don't patronize me, Mr Kross. Our ages mean nothing here." 

Kross and David look at each other. Then David speaks.

"Mr Hiddleston, we know you've purchased at least twenty percent of our stock. We also know you plan to file a formal bid for a majority of the share."

"Twenty-five percent." Tom interrupts David. 

"Mr Hiddleston, I built Kross Enterprises myself. I know every man who ever worked there by his first name. I know their wives... and their children. If your intention is to take over my company and turn it into a glorified real estate deal, think again." Kross says, staring angrily at him. Tom, thankfully, now reaches for his salad fork and begins to eat. Relieved, Karly picks up hers. They all eat in silence for a moment. 

"What do you suggest, Mr Kross?" Tom asks.

Waiters approach their table to clear the salad plates and put down the next course. Karly, thinking she's got to finish, quickly stuffs her mouth with the rest of her salad. She is reluctant to let the waiter take her fork.

"What would it take to buy our stock back? Name your price." Kross says hopefully.

"To get me in a selling mood, I want double what I paid. But your company doesn't have enough capital right now to buy anything." Tom replies smugly.

"We're on the verge of closing a large navy contract. Double is ridiculous but we can assure you a healthy profit on your shares. We would give you a promissory note..." 

"You're not getting any navy contracts," Tom interrupts David.

Karly can see both father and son are stunned by this news. 

"There's no way you could know that," David says defensively. 

"But I do know. I also know lines of credit are over-extended. If I don't buy your company, someone else will. Ah, the escargot.