Chapter 6

A spray of water comes down upon Karly as she washes her face carefully, trying to keep the water from her hair. She picks up some soap and scrubs herself clean. She turns off the shower, picks up a towel and quickly dries herself. She feels better.

Karly walks into the bedroom and starts picking up her clothes off the floor. Tom sits up on the bed to see her. 

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"Getting my clothes."

"I thought I paid you for the whole night." He said smirking.

"What? You want to do it again? I thought I finished you off." 

Tom chuckled at her comment. "You did. But stay the night. I'd like to sleep with you. I'll get you a taxi in the morning."

Karly sighs. "Why do you want to sleep with me?"

"Another question. Because you're warm."

"You don't snore, do you? I hate that." Karly drops her clothes back on the floor and back over to the bed.

"I don't snore. Well, I don't believe I snore."

"One snore and I'm out of here."

"That seems fair." 

"Alright. Move over Romeo." She hops into the bed.

Karly stares at Tom for a moment. There is no denying that he is in fact handsome. But he is way out of her league. She would never be able to be with a guy like that. 

************************************************

The sun is coming up as a hotel employee hoses down the sidewalk in front of the hotel. The elevator doors open and a waiter rolls a cart out into the hallway. He takes it to the doors of the penthouse. He rings the bell. Tom opens the door to let the waiter in. The waiter carries in a tray of food, a bottle of champagne, and orange juice. Tom, dressed in silk pyjamas and a black velvet robe, stands in the living room talking into a cordless phone. 

"Taylor, I've had it. This is the third time I've had to take a trip alone."

Tom points to the table for the waiter to place the breakfast. 

"I don't care what your agent says. One week isn't going to ruin your career."

The waiter sets down the tray and returns. Tom picks up his wallet from an end table and hands the waiter a five dollar bill. The waiter nods and exits.

"I want you here. You know how I get when I'm doing business. Last night I even..." He thinks about telling her but decides against it. "Forget it. I want you on a flight today or it's over."

Tom walks over to the dining table and lifts one of the tray covers. Inside was a freshly made gourmet breakfast. 

"You promised me that you would make time for me outside your career," Tom said in an angry tone. "Taylor!" She hung up on him. Tom slams the phone down on the table.

"That's it..." He takes a deep breath to calm himself. He pours a glass of orange juice and takes a sip. Still agitated, he crosses through the living room to the bedroom door. 

Karly is asleep in the bed. She is not a light sleeper. Her body is in an awkward position and her mouth is frozen half-open on her tranquil face. She looks young and childlike.

Tom stares down at her for a moment. He sips his orange juice. He is thinking again. Making a decision. 

"You're quite the sleeper," Tom says loudly.